Rigging a Mesh in 3dsmax 9/Creating Cloth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rigging a Mesh in 3dsmax 9/Creating Cloth

Can someone please tell me how I would rig a model, lets say a flag, and getting cloth physics working with it in Unreal Tournament 3. I have not been able to find anything useful, and this would be highly appreciated.

Cloth is made up of a basic Plane with around 20 segments length and width.
    It has three bones Rigid,Root,Cloth, Rigid bone is constrained to the Root bone, then the Cloth bone is also constrained to the Root Bone.
    You skin your "Cloth Plane" with the top vertices (where it is attached) being assigned a weight of 1 to the Rigid Bone and all the other verts a weight of 1 for the Cloth Bone.
    Export as a mesh in ActorX.
    Import into UT3, assign it a Physics asset and put it into your level as a "atclothplaceableactor". Adjust "Cloth" wind for it to blow.
    Note: Bending metal is made almost exactly as above but does not require the "Rigid" bone.
    Hope that helps a bit. If you need anything further send me a PM and I can walk you through it and set you up with some new actor classes that will help set up Ageia Physix assets.
    Cheers
    VinnieMc

Comment

Thanks, I found out I never checked "CPUSomething", and never knew about the Physics Asset, now I have this!

It can even tear, the only thing is I don't know how to make it collide with players, but other than that, it works perfectly! Yayes!

Comment

hi, im struggling to follow in you guys footsteps

Iv got as far as exporting it into unrealed altho its looking a bit strange in the animSet editor. Its got a weird curve going on with the mesh which isn't there in 3dsMax.

Also how do i assign it a physics asset? and whats this "atclothplaceableactor"?

Comment

hmm ok i think my bones are wrong... is there a step by step tutorial around to show me the ropes? Im not sure i know enough to work it out based on the info above, and I cant find any helpful info elsewhere on the net.

thanks for any help

Comment

Working...
          X