Help with Rain in UT3ED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Rain in UT3ED

howdy all, metal here i was wondering how to make it rain / storm in my level. its a rather large indoor / outdoor map, themed alcatraz 2 a new prison in the middle of nowhere. i would love to have rain, maybe some lightning here and there and want to know how to do this. ive searched a bit and i cant seem to find how to do this.

There are several ways to achieve rain and it's effects. There is a rain static mesh you can use (can't remember what package but WAR-Downtown uses it) as far as lightning there is an emitter for that. I think someone asked the same question.

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=605902

Comment

hmm i had a look at the mesh but it looks **** when i scale it for some reason, its made in cubes and they have an odd cut off look, when hitting the water also looked like it was everywhere but where the player was. and if it is possible is there a way to get splashes on the ground where the rains hitting?

Comment

Your gonna need to use a lot of them. Find the scale you like (2x, 4x) and start duplicating and stacking if needed.

You can also change the rain from light (not really) to heavy downpoor by choosing a different material to apply to the static mesh.

Only use them where ppl can go. Don't bother to use them all the way back to areas no one will ever be able to get to.

Her is a screen shot of the map I did messing with the rain material just to see how to do it.

http://gallery.filefront.com/Laambo//909262/

Hope that helps you for the rain part.

Comment

ok ill give it a shot thanks laambo, ill dl your map, i havnt seen it b4 looks good.

Comment

I've also got rain in my map, and I think it looks pretty good. I changed the material for the rain though, to make it look a little less noticable.

You can check my map out from my signature

Comment

looks like a fantastic map thrallala ill dl and give it a go, also how did you do the rain in your map, like the description above or another way? my rain is only in a small part of the playable area.

Comment

I used the rain meshes in the UN_Weather package, scaled them so that I wouldn't need hundreds of them and modified it's material.

Comment

I don't know if you've solved this, but I thought I'd upload something I've been playing with anyway.

Basically it's a small empty map with a rainfall effect using the stock meshes/materials, an ambient sound and a custom material with the raindrops effect added to it.
                  Open it in Unreal Editor and have a look if you want, I had it lying around from looking into it myself and it'll be quicker to look at than a full map.

I uploaded it to ModDB, so it's awaiting authorisation at the moment but here's the link for when they hopefully accept it:
                  http://www.moddb.com/members/136742/...dm-raintestmap

Edit: It's now been approved.

Comment

Do any of you know how to add a looping rain sound and where to find them? Have been looking everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbyhere View Post
                      Do any of you know how to add a looping rain sound and where to find them? Have been looking everywhere.
                      There are lots of rain sounds in the A_Ambient_Loops package, they come under water at the bottom.

Make your own sound cue in your map package with an attenuation node to control the sound radius and a looping node to loop it.

http://help.hourences.com/tutorialsue3sound.htm

Comment

Working...
                      X