Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importin Gears Of War Static Mashes & Mats into UT3 !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They don't have to tell you they are against it. It's a part of copyright law and the EULA. They have to tell you they are ok with it, which I believe is what DG was getting at. Until they tell you it is ok, then it is not ok by default.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
      See this thread link.
      Regarding GoW and UT3. Epic stated no porting between the two.
      And see these thread links:

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=605931

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=602963 *

* note that this thread has been around for nearly four weeks and was visited by an official moderator (see pg 4). Nothing was said about these breaking any rules and the thread was not closed.

Again I don't think Epic has a real issue with this as long as they are not taken out of context (like some nude versions or something they would consider distasteful). Anyway it's Epic that has the final word so when they close those threads and delete the OP with the links to the content and notifies places to remove the content from their site then I will believe that Epic doesn't want users to experience a hybrid GearsUT world just for fun and to keep interest UT3 alive and hopefully even increase interest in it.

Comment

"Gears of Tournament"

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
          Again I don't think Epic has a real issue with this as long as they are not taken out of context (like some nude versions or something they would consider distasteful). Anyway it's Epic that has the final word so when they close those threads and delete the OP with the links to the content and notifies places to remove the content from their site then I will believe that Epic doesn't want users to experience a hybrid GearsUT world just for fun and to keep interest UT3 alive and hopefully even increase interest in it.
          The thing is, unless they actually give permission, you can't do it.
          The fact that those threads have not been removed from the forums means nothing. That is taking the content first, and hoping permission comes later.
          Epic has to give permission, or you cannot do it. Period. That is the law.

Comment

Originally posted by UX_Loki View Post
            "Gears of Tournament"
            riiiiiiiiiiiiight

lvl 3 of gows sp got the best lock ever
            this rainy outside depo let even Crysis look like bullish!

i just hope epic adds sutch a effectfull map to ut3.
            then everythin would be cool.

Comment

DG is right. Somewhere along the lines it was made quite clear that content can be ported within Unreal games, but not GoW. Just because you can do it, and nobody has said anything yet doesn't mean you should.

Respect the wishes of the developer, because other developers respect yours and don't use your content 'because they' can either.

Comment

I don't plan on discussing this topic further or posting comments into other new threads regarding this subject, that is not my job here, however, you should know by now that I would have some of this stuff linked...

I'll also post in partial quotes in case the linked source server is ever down.

Link : EULA, in particular go down to 11.c. This is regarding using prior Unreal content in UT 2004 (ie. sharing content between Unreal franchise or "Unreal Universe" games ONLY).
                Technically the UT3 EULA in the shipped manual does not include this statement as it is IGN's EULA. However, UT3 is one of the games in the Unreal franchise.
                FWIW GoW is not in the Unreal franchise, neither does its EULA stipulate that you can use its content elsewhere...

(c) We just LOVE the idea of you using and distributing content or script from any prior Epic Games, Unreal franchise game in Unreal Tournament 2004 Mod. Therefore we grant you a license to use content from any prior Epic Games Unreal franchise game in your Unreal Tournament 2004 Mods. For the sake of clarity you will not gain any ownership whatsoever in any Epic content or script nor can you use any Epic content outside the scope of the rights granted here. Any attempt to do so will bring about the wrath of our attorneys.

Link : EULA also linked to and discussed by BUF mods here.

Link : Regarding distribution of personal custom content under GPL etc. Quoted from original Epic ut2003mod mail list.

Originally Posted by Tim Sweeney(Epic)
                Mark [=Mark Rein, Epic] and I discussed this a bit more internally.

Our conclusion is that if a mod author wishes to release a UT mod under the
                GPL, then Epic doesn't have any official position on that. We don't know
                whether your doing so would be compliant with the GPL or with the UT EULA,
                so we can't endorse your doing this. But we aren't objecting to it either,
                and don't plan to send our army of undead lawyers from hell after you if
                your mod shows up on SourceForge.

-Tim

I have additional links and info on legals but these should suffice for this topic, of which I grow weary of...

Until (or if) Epic updates the GoW EULA allowing for use of its content in UT3, you can't.
                But I know that won't stop some people...

Comment

epic is taking a good stance on this but who knows how Microshlong would react....

Comment

Working...
                  X