Trouble Achieving Buoyancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble Achieving Buoyancy

Does anyone know how to make physics actors buoyant in water volumes? I'm working on an env and would like to have debris floating in the water.

I'm working in UE3, in the Unreal Tournament 3 Editor.

Thanks!
    -Orion

If anyone does have information on this, it would be a huge help. Unfortunately, the methods used in UT2k3 and 4 no longer work. Thanks.

Comment

Try creating a physical material for your phys object, and modifying the density.
      http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsindex.html

has a good tut on physics.

Comment

Thanks a lot! I'll try this when I get home. Just out of curiosity, is this something you've done and have success with?

btw, the link's broken, but I'm guessing it's the same physics tutorial Hourences has in the regular tutorial section.

-O

Comment

ok, using that method, so far I've had no luck. All I have is a water volume and a ball. The ball has a physics material, but no matter what I change the density to, it still sinks right through as if the water volume wasn't there.

Any ideas? This is something I'm really hoping to figure out.

-O

Comment

unfortunately physics materials dont take water into account with buoyancy so im guessing your gonna be tweaking a lot here.

i would suggest 2 or 3 sets of physMats. one for the water, one for the volume, one for the objects in it and a lot of tweaking.

Comment

great, I'll try that asap. just to make sure, should I make a physics volume and apply the "water" physMat to it? So far I haven't been able to apply physMats to volumes. How do you do this?

Comment

Unfortunately I think I'm going to need some help on this. After I make three PhysMats, should I apply the water one to a plane? should I somehow apply it to a Physics Volume? Should I be using a physics volume at all?

I'm kinda lost . Might anyone whip up a short demo for dl? If not, could someone try this on their own and share the results?

I know it would be work, but I'm spending hours on this to no avail.

thanks-
                -O

Comment

water volumes do not have the feature/s needed to do buoyancy for physics objects. Instead you need to use a gravity volume in conjunction with it with the following settings in order to simulate the buoyancy of rigid bodies that enter it:

GravityZ=-300.000000
                  ZoneVelocity=(Z=600.000000)
                  FluidFriction=0.000000
                  RigidBodyDamping=1.000000

Comment

Working...
                  X