Locking a Camera to a mesh during a Matinee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locking a Camera to a mesh during a Matinee

Ive searched the forums and couldn't find the solution to this...
    Ive created Movies in 2004 where I translate my camera while keeping it locked on an actor (the bullseye symbol) and I'm trying to recreate this action in UT2k3 but to no avail.

Ive read on a previous post to go into the movement properties of the camera and change the "LookAtGroupName" to group within your scene and to change the "RotMode" which is also in the movement prop to "IMR_LookAtGroup"

Ive done this but when I get done with my movie the camera rotates like crazy and doesn't stay locked onto the mesh I want it to.

I just want to rotate a camera around a statue smoothly

if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it
    Thank you

It works fine when I tested it out. It might help if you posted screenshots of your kismet and matinee or if you could post the map itself. It's hard to tell what might be the problem without any more info.

You might try enabling the option to use Quat rotations (don't remember the exact name) in the Movement track's properties. I'm not sure if that works in look at mode, but its purpose is to keep the camera from going crazy during rotations.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
      It works fine when I tested it out. It might help if you posted screenshots of your kismet and matinee or if you could post the map itself. It's hard to tell what might be the problem without any more info.

You might try enabling the option to use Quat rotations (don't remember the exact name) in the Movement track's properties. I'm not sure if that works in look at mode, but its purpose is to keep the camera from going crazy during rotations.
      Ill try to post screenshots later today...
      I followed the steps from the collectors edition so I dont think I missed a spot.
      Maybe im naming my mesh incorrectly (I double click a mesh in my lvl go to its prop - object - group and thats where I change its name).

Is there a site with a step by step for this?
      Im just wanting to do a fly by to show off the lvl for one of my school classes
      (hell I cant even get my trigger volume to play my movie -_-)

Thanks for the quick response though

Comment

The way it works is that you have two Groups in your Matinee sequence. The camera is linked to one group, we'll say it's named Camera, and this will control its movement. The object you want to have the camera look at is connected to the other group, we name it Statue. The Camera group will have a Movement track. In the Movement track's properties, you set the RotMode to IMR_LookAtGroup and you set the LookAtGroupName to Statue as this is the name of the group in the Matinee sequence you want the camera to look at. Then you can animate the location of your camera with the Movement track and it will rotate itself to always be facing the object connected to the Statue group.

Comment

Thanks so much that did help out alot

I was going about it wrong and didnt create the group in the Matinee itself (RC Add Empty Group). My camera still kinda wonks out on its rotation but messing with the path itself I was able to fix it.

Thanks so much once again

Comment

Working...
          X