Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Becoming more of an "advanced" level creator... Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Becoming more of an "advanced" level creator... Help?

I'm a pretty new map builder, and I'm wondering about more "advanced" map editing techniques. For example, I'm using mostly BSP in my levels so far, as all the tutorial videos I've seen use mostly BSP in their levels for setting up their walls, floors, ceilings, etc. Yet, when I jump into an actual level made by Epic, it looks way, way different. The only thing I immediately grasp is that they're using way more static meshes than BSP surfaces. Are there any tips to making a "professional" looking level (before lighting and whatnot) as opposed to a basic playing space that you just scatter static meshes around for decoration, such as what I've currently done?

Here is a link to screens of the level I'm working on, to give you an idea as to what I mean by "basic" looking. It's pretty fun but doesn't look too hot, and I want to make it look better, and just GET better at this. Thanks!

From what I remember how they make a level take these steps..(approximatly)
    1 bsp layout.
    2 replacing bsp with meshes and possibly converting level to additive.
    3 lighting
    4 volumes

Comment

So the most important thing (for me right now anyway) would be to start replacing some of those BSP with meshes, I assume. From there, start lighting. Got it. Any other tips/tricks that I should know about?

Comment

Above everything else a map has to be fun to play. Really think about your layout and play test a lot.

If the gameplay is rubbish then no one will play it and it won't get on any servers.

Comment

I don't think that's the problem with the maps I've made, honestly. I've only play tested the map above with my cousin and some bots, but each time it's always been pretty fun. I understand that maps have to be fun, but you can literally make a room full of boxes fun. I need to be able to make those boxes PRETTY now. Ya know? =D

Comment

Whoa. I just replaced some of the walls with a simple wall static mesh... There's a really, really, really big difference. I do have another question, however. As far as stair static meshes are concerned, if I'm making a fairly high stairway, should I use static meshes for those, or should I fill in the gaps with more static meshes somehow? I have this really awkward "inverse stairway" I guess you could call it, that needs covering up. Uh... yeah. Also, if someone could fill me in on different ways of selecting or grouping static meshes or BSP's, that'd be great too. My environment is getting cluttered, and sometimes it's hard to only select one or two certain things (in my case, the floor) that I want to select, as I have grass in the way. Thanks!

Comment

BSP should be SUPPLEMENTED by static meshes. no other way to say it quickly.

Comment

Working...
              X