Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Map loads in editor, but crashes UT3 when loading it to play please help *fixed*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Map loads in editor, but crashes UT3 when loading it to play please help *fixed*

Hello all, I was trying to resolve another issue, having two packages so I duplicated everything in my texture package into the standard level package that contained my emitters through the generic browser. I also saw somewhere else people reccomending deleting shader caches for a similar problem so I did this. Anyhow I archived the texture package and deleted the unarchived version, so I could check all the surfaces were applied and worked from the standard level package. Of course a whole heap went missing coz they referred to the texture package but i re-applied them out of the standard package. So everything all running off the one package in UED, all looks good. I tried building it. everything still okay. save and cook all good. However when you go to play it the loading screen comes up with the level name and then UT3 crashes. Furthermore the editor will not load up again, untill this cooked map is deleted. I read somewhere else that a guy had the same prob and cooked it on his 2nd **** and it all worked great (he deleted his shader caches under advice too) So i set off to uninstall UT3 and reinstall it in a new directory. All worked good map loads in editor, I cook then same deal crashes when i try to play it in UT3. It started out with a few broken emitters and now I have a completely stuffed level that ive been unable to revive after 10hrs of trying . Also strangely as I have two copies of my package in unpublished its says ambiguous file, and then says its going to use C:\Games\UT3\cookedPC\Custom Maps\ Carnage_Cathedral_Package. However when I open cooked pc in this folder (being the game install directory obviously not my documents\my games\etc... there is no custom map folder! Im hoping someone can offer some advice as it looks like the end of the road for my map otherwise Even if someone can try a cook in case its my ****. Thanks to anyone who can help.

save it under a different name and cook it.

if the problem persists, ill have to wrack my memories to work out how i fixed it when i had the problem...

Comment

thanks greenday Ive tried several names, several cooks, still nothing only one ive found that worked was my already cooked beta4 [EDIT] okay gone back to beta4ad (4saves after beta4) this works. so it appears its not my machine cooking it that causes this problem, but something to do with my texture packages. (map had no custom textures at this stage, copy i was working on was beta4ca- approx 50 saves later) It would appear that ive done something wrong with the package, but im completely at a loss as to what, hopefully i can figure it out as this will set me back about a week of fairly steady work on this Guess if it comes to it, will take me a little less time this time as a lot of time was spent figuring out how to get the textures to do what i want, this should be a little easier the second time round. Plus I could put my packages in the right place to start with, I still hope it doesnt come to this, but at least i know the map is salvagable even if severely set back. Greenday is there any possibility i could send you my level package to take a look please?

Comment

I posted on our clan forums,we have several mappers.Someone will help out.

Comment

Heya Frag....What i would do is save it under a similar name and go into that map....and slowly and methodicly delete things that may be causeing the problem and try and recook it after every deletion.

Eventually you will find the culprit package. Id start with the texture packages that you suspect might be causeing the issue first. This method has helped me numerous times. Good luck

Comment

If you used to have two packages and tried squeezing that to one, you need to run the "fixupredirects" commandlet. All of the redirectors will still be pointing to the other original package, so if you deleted that package, the map will fail since the redirectors are now invalid.

Syntax:

ut3.exe fixupredirects <package.ext>

This is one of the main reasons why I constantly tell mappers to not use external packages with their maps.

Comment

Wow thank you all! I love this community everyone is so helpful. Im going to have to put all these peeps that have given me tech help in the credits ill have to start now, ive had a bad week and its getting to be quite a long list.

Mojonick im sort of going in that direction except in reverse i save a lot if anything too much so im going thru my backlist and trying to find the most recent save that will work i know beta4ad works and that beta4t crashes, I can just find a working one and start again from there the closer it gets to beta4d it goes the more i lose, top end about a week. However that also includes my schooling coz everything is new to me and i have to learn it so I should be a bit quicker this time around if i have to go down this path, but it seems that as soon as my custom textures are employed the whole lot crashes after cooking, but they were cooking fine before I messed around joining up packages.

DGUnreal I actually saw your post regarding multiple packages researching another problem and thats why I kind of thought id try and link it all into one, because ive had problems with random emitter failures from the day i put them in this map. I spent about 10hrs yesterday trying various things including archiving and moving packages, I havent deleted any but ive backed up so many and shuffled them round so much, although i would have the originals it would be very hard to find them. So I actually built it in UED with only my current package active and of course half my materials went missing coz they had null reference (referred package moved) so these all now run off the Carnage_Cathedral_Package.upk however it still crashes when I cook it so I will look into what youve said although I dont know where this commandlet is, as this is my first map and im so very n00bish in UED. If anyone can give me more specific directions to obtain this commandlet, that would be so great. I really dont want to lose a weeks work it took me forever to get that stained glass right being so inexperienced with material editor. Is this command run from the UT3 game console?

Thank you very much freaky1, youve been very helpful from day1 and im so greatful for your insight along the way and if you find anything out id really appreciate it

Well folks Ill go see what I can do. Least I have some direction now, seemed hopeless yesterday. I really love the stained glass windows and wanted to do a few diff sorts. I can cook beta4 as a final but reeeeeeeeally dont want to go this way, is a lot more i hoped to do with it. So I think even if I have to start all the packages again. I have at least my contrast maps, normal maps and images ready to go, Ill write down the way there plugged in together too, took me forever to get that transparent stained glass right lol. Will post back either way and thanks again everyone, to someone who has been trying for 10 hours and getting nowhere inbetween two shifts at work it means so much

Comment

You run the commandlet from the Windows command prompt. It's just the game executable with command line strings.

Comment

do i type run in front of the ut3.exe fixupredirects <package.ext>
                  Ive browsed in there to the folder where the package is and obviously adjusted <package.ext> to carnage_cathedral_package.upk but no go, do I put run in front? I started off with start/run and then typed cmd, thats the command prompt isnt it? I reckon your solution is the best one and I think it is definitely a package prob killing this level [EDIT] Derrrr me go to the folder where UT3.exe is and type it there, tried it there somethings def changed going into editor to check out if she'll go

Comment

okay this doesnt seem to be working for me, well the command works but it doesnt seem to find the original package,I just seem to get a failed to find message about 20 times when it gets to that stage and map is still crashing after cooking, i got a bit desperate to fix it yesterday and did some silly things, I have every package but there is about 14 of them, and i have no idea which is the orig. So im testing a few things out but its hard to tell when everything isnt working in the first place. Do I cook the map then run the applet? or vice versa? Do i have to build again? Is it possible to export a new package with a diff filename from my current package that will work? Even if I could wipe out all the packages and start again with a new carnage_cathedral_package and just rebuild the emitters and textures that would be preferable to losing all the other work put in. With the renaming suggestion do people mean the package, I have tried a ton of recooks/ renames on the map, that hasnt worked. Thanks guys. Ill look into the deleting suspected culprits in the meanwhile.
                    [EDIT] Okay I ended up putting all the packages in spare package1 spare package2 spare package3 thru to spare package14 folders in unpublished\custom maps with my current package. and ran djunreal's idea of the fixupredirect. I was hoping to get it to find the orig this way coz i noticed it looked in custom map folder, i did this in unpublished which i dont know was the right way to go about it as the cmd prompt dont tell whether its looking in published or unpublished. Now when I cook the map it says its using the package in spare package1, before it always used the one in custom maps without a folder. Would this mean that this was my orig package? It only contains an emitter which was what was in my orig package. I think theres too much to wade thru so if i could get some advice on just starting my package all over again that would be great. I have been going thru back saves and it would seem that the crashing problem starts when my first custom textures appear. These were working untill i stupidly combined the two packages and then doubly stupidly started shuffling stuff around. I had cooked these and had no worries. So I figure If I just write down the settings for everything and how its connected together in material editor, it shouldnt take too long to rebuild (well apart from the emitter prob lol) esp. as I have all my textures still so would be merely importing them and plugging them back together, (I made normal maps and contrast maps so being a noob it'd be in my best interest lol) just need advice on wiping the package and starting again, or even better maybe keeping the emitter and rebuilding the rest of the textures as the emitter seems to be the one thing that doesnt crash. One of the packages i turfed didnt import properly and had obviously corrupted you could see it there was 3 materials in it that looked kind of like grey green sludge, Im thinking maybe that has corrupted other versions even though, other packages have materials that look like they should. The editor did crash on me during a cook when these probs started coz of a crash within a nero library.This in turn took down unreal editor in mid cook. This was from some garbage that my gf put on my ****. I uninstalled the offending nero, but seems the damage is done [EDIT] If I copy my package to somewhere outside "my games" then delete all copies in my map files all custom textures and emitters from my map and build the whole package from scratch (import textures and construct materials all over again) The copy I moved elsewhere Id only keep as a reference, so that I could set it all up quickly and easily again esp the emitter, as I struggled with that one for ages before i was happy. would this solve my package woes?

Comment

still need an answer please folks, it was my assumptions that killed this level. I dont want to make any more lol. Can I delete the level package and re-import all textures and reconstruct all materials to a new level package, started from the generic browser with nothing in it. Obviously Id have to reapply all materials to the level from the new paclage, but thats no big deal. I think its all the duplicating that stuffed this, and with 14 diff packages I have no idea anymore which is the orig as I reshuffled everything so much trying to fix it. so Im looking to rebuild the package from scratch but dont want any nasty surprises coz ive assumed the wrong thing again, seems to be my speciality this week

Comment

In my first post i should have said delete the textures in the map that you suspect are causeing the issue. ( not the packages ). This way if you need to rebuild your material textures you have your original Material designs to reference too.

Ultimately you must save your custom content in the map package that you want to cook. Also...if you have allready cooked those files once they cannot be moved into the Map package folder (which is a royal p.i.t.a.). I just woke up so....if something isnt clear about what i've just said, let me know.

GoodLuck-Mojo

Comment

No that is very clear and will be a real time saver thank you. was constructing the materials that took me ages, just importing textures will be much easier. The problem is with so many packages now (rars backups and the like, I have a heap of carnage_cathedral_package 's and nfi which is the orig. I only have a couple of carnage_cathedral_texture_packages but i know for a fact i duplicated cooked materials into both of the original of these. So I could perhaps delete all the carnage_cathedral_package 's and keep one carnage_cathedral_texture_package open that, delete all textures+emitter from materials and package then save as carnage_cathedral_package in unpublished\custom maps, this folder would just contain the material shell, I import all the textures back into the new carnage_cathedral_package from the orig .tga files not packages and then plug them in as nescessary into my materials. Then when this is successful I rebuild my emitter. Then cook it see if it runs and if it does i can start re-applying these textures into the map, and then once ive tested that rebuild my emitters? Sorry just to make exactly sure ive got this correct. Thanks so much for helping me This is definitely a package problem ive gone back and cooked maps that worked before and now dont including ones with custom textures that worked before. Now as soon as a custom texture is in my map it crashes after cooking. [EDIT] How do people get around the cooked material problem? Keep a backup out of "my games" folder and delete old packages after cooking and resave backup in custom maps as same named package?

Comment

okay i think ive got it coz the editor was crashed by nero crashing, when this problem first started and the whole package was corrupted. even with the textures removed from materials I would find that i couldnt delete textures even after id removed all texture references from the materials. It was only after i deleted the materials that i could delete the textures. I then made up a new package with a custom texture i made up from UT3 resources and put it in a recent map that had been crashing after cooking and it now works I just have to rebuild all my materials but thats okay ive already drawn how they are all connected. Thanks for everyones help trying to help me find a shorter way, but no one can fix a corrupted package and i can make a 1000 copies of it and try stuff but it will still be corrupt. Thanks everyone for helping me thru this very trying time. I have added you all to my level credits and hopefully this will assist someone as unlucky as me who has custom textures, then an editor crash during cooking and then their map is stuffed lol. They may stumble across this thread and save themselves three days of pain Thank you all very much again

Comment

*Fingers crossed* Hope it all works out for you.I feel for ya with all the hours of dedication you have invested and that drive you have to keep going.

Comment

Working...
                              X