Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maya Animation Import - Bone Displacement

Okay, so.
    Problem: Only half of the rig works. The first time it screwed up, only the left side worked, now it's happening again. Right side is totally screwy. I've tried fiddling with a lot of things, I've even remade the rig from scratch.

This is it in Maya, after I exported.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2870/11856/222660.jpg

This is the result after being imported into UED.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2870/11856/222651.jpg

As you can see, in Maya the placement is fine, on import to UED however, the right shoulder bone/joint seems to be rotating off in some bizzare angle for some reason while the left is perfectly fine. I've messed with many things, and I can't seem to get this to work. This has happened before, and so I redid the entire skeleton from scratch, and now it's happening again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It happens in both UED3 and UED4.

Sincerely,
    Micah

All I can suggest - though you might have tried it already - is to check that each joint's rotation is zeroed out in all channels. Your joint rotation should be stored in the joint's local rotation axis attributes, rather than the rotate.x, rotate.y, rotate.z channels.

You could also try selecting all of your joints and freezing their transformations (expand the options for Freeze Transformations to ensure you're freezing the right channels).

Other than that, I'm sorry, I don't know If you can't solve it, I'd be happy to take a look at the file for you. I've worked as a character rigger, but that hasn't been for quite some time now, so pulling solutions out of my head isn't going to offer you much in the way of assistance

One other thing - did you mirror the joints manually? ie. duplicate, scale negative in x, and reposition? If you did this, it might be the negative scale causing the problem.

EDIT: I just noticed you're using IK. Try setting up a control skeleton and a deformation skeleton. Your control skeleton has all of your IK/FK controls, driven keys, etc. while your deformation skeleton is driven via either expressions or direct connections (constraints can misbehave) to follow the control skeleton. In this way, you can do all of your animation with whatever skeletal manipulation tools you like, while keeping the actual rig that's being exported as simple as possible. The reason I suggest this is that the IK solver can be temperamental - there may be a very small (less than the display tolerance) value in the rotation channels that could screw things up.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm not sure what I did to fix it exactly, but I fixed it (at least on my arm rigs, it's happening to a seperate file which i haven't had time to mess with yet). Basically, I kept messing with things, and importing. And so I actaulyl renamed my "LeftArm_Shoulder" to "Leftarm_shoulder" and that for some bizzare reason fixed it next import. So I change it back to "LeftArm_Shoulder" and it still works....So I'm not sure what happened.

With my other model, which is a weapon, the rotation is screwy, so I should make sure things are all zeroed out. But for some reason, depending on the capatilization of the joints, the model is imported into different places. The actual mesh that is, it's all over the place depending on the name of the joints. I got the mesh to import as it should, but the joints are shooting off to the side, rather than threw my weapon. I'll give this stuff a try on that model and see if it works.

Comment

Well, you were correct. And I thank you for that, sadly though. I can't exactly apply it. The joints work fine if all things are zeroed out. Except, I can't freeze my transforms with a skin attached, detaching the skin with completely get rid of all my scaling to the mesh (since I did it through the joints, dummy me), and it also doesn't like the way I have an attribute moving my joint it appears, as it yelled at me for that too, or at least I think it did. So I just have to rebuild the skeleton from scratch in the right position this time, make sure it's zeroed out, and then apply all my attributes and skin again.

However, I now know what to look for in the future, so I appreciate the post. Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,
        Micah

Comment

Working...
        X