Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you give a static mesh collision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    per-poly collision says it 'overrides' basic collision. I couldn't get it to work without first having basic collision, then turning on per-poly collision. I'll experiment with the settings when I get home to make sure everything I've done is necessary.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wait...if you added basic collision in the Static Mesh Editor, why did you uncheck the Use Simple*Collision properties? Unchecking those boxes makes the mesh use per-poly collision which defates the purpose of creating simple collision and runs the risk of hurting performance.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, after much messing around, I got it to work. Thanks for the help guys!

I had to:

1. Duplicate the meshes into a new package
    2. Edit the mesh using the static mesh editor, add a basic box collision, and uncheck the "UseSimpleBoxCollision", "UseSimpleLineCollision", and "UseSimpleRigidBodyCollision"
    3. Place the mesh on the map, select actor properties and check bCollideComplex.

The building meshes are very complex and I was afraid I was going to have to make bounding boxes for all of that. Thankfully this works. Unfortunately I still will have to replace all of the HU_City.* meshes with the MinusTankMeUp.* meshes, which basically means remaking the map again. It will be painful but not nearly as much as making bounding boxes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MrCobra View Post
    Be aware that even if you can duplicate things to your map, sometimes after you do a save, your map has a high probability of not opening anymore.
    Well, it worked just fine when I just tried it. I tried duplicating into a new package and into the map as well as closing and reopening the map and restarting the editor and opening the map. Worked every time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
    Use the method listed in this thread to allow you to duplicate the mesh to a new package. Then,open the duplicated mesh in the Static Mesh Editor and use the tools in the Collision menu to give the mesh collision.
    Be aware that even if you can duplicate things to your map, sometimes after you do a save, your map has a high probability of not opening anymore.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Use the method listed in this thread to allow you to duplicate the mesh to a new package. Then,open the duplicated mesh in the Static Mesh Editor and use the tools in the Collision menu to give the mesh collision.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    i rekon the easiest way is to just add a blocking volume ther for stock meshes (as not to affect any other stock maps) or you can just duplicate it over to one of your own packages and force Per Poly Collisions (not sure how to duplicate to other packages tho).

good luck man

Leave a comment:

• started a topic how do you give a static mesh collision?

how do you give a static mesh collision?

I made a map out of the static meshes in the HU_City.upk package. It's pretty cool, the only problem is I can walk through the buildings.

How can I convert these "NO COLLSION MODEL" meshes so they have collision?
    Thanks!
Working...
X