Window reflections!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window reflections!

I've made a wall using a window and glass from the LT walls package but the problem is that if you look carefully at the glass you see the relection of a'city' or buildings/skyscrapers in it even when there is no city in my level. Is there anyway to change this so that the glass is clear?

I had a similar query to this, would it be possible to mimic or approxiamte how a window reflects its surroundings? I'm playing around with reflectionvectors and translucency in the material editor so i'll post any findings but if others have any ideas fire away.

Comment

Make your own material for the glass and apply it to the Materials array of the StaticMeshActor in the map.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
        Make your own material for the glass and apply it to the Materials array of the StaticMeshActor in the map.
        Thanks. Not quite sure where to start though making my own material as im fairly new to all this (im on my 1st map). I'll try and look it up though.

Comment

Working with Render-to-texture stuff will work. Look up the hourences tutorial on real-time reflections. Now a quick trick for saving performance is having the render-to-texture only render once, that way it doesn't waste performance, but it still looks accurate.

Comment

These are good starting points for making your own reflective materials:

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3mated.htm
            http://www.hourences.com/book/tutori...eflections.htm

Comment

Many Epic materials have variables that can be changed without editing parent material. Look inside that glass material if it has some textures as variable. If so then just make instanced material and apply your reflection cubemap.

If it does not, then open that Epic material to look how its made, then create new one and copy all nodes. But in your material make reflection cubemap as variable, so you can make different reflections for glass in different rooms without copying whole material.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys i'll have a go at it later

Comment

To edit an Epic created material:
                  1. Double click the material you want to edit.
                  2. Hold Ctrl+Alt and drag a box around ALL the nodes.
                  3. Press Ctrl+C
                  4. Close that window and right click in the browser -> New material
                  5. Create it in a package called the same as your map (eg DM-mapname)
                  5. once inside the new material, press Ctrl+V
                  6. hook up the correct ends to the main thing on the left.
                  7. You may need to change it to Additive in the options at the bottom to make it transparent (check to see what the original had in its settings and what was linked where)
                  8. Edit the material how ever you like, it's much easier editing one similar to what you want than creating from scratch.
                  You will also learn the material editor faster working this way as you are seeing examples as you go.

Comment

Thanks a lot CreepyD

Comment

Maybe its a window from another map? (heatray etc)

Comment

While we're at it, what's the difference between an additive and a translucent material? They seemed to yield the same results for me, is there a performance culprit there?

Comment

Working...
                        X