Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[3DS MAX 9] Smoothing Groups: Do they effect performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[3DS MAX 9] Smoothing Groups: Do they effect performance?

Hey every1,

im creating a new map and working on meshes. im creating low poly meshes, and using Zbrush 3 to make Normal maps from high poly meshes, and was wondering:

if i have smoothing groups on my low poly models (the ones used in Unreal), will it have an impact on performance?

the high poly meshes will be smoothed, so i see no need to actually HAVE smoothing on the low polies, but i was wondering if smoothing groups on meshes effect performance in any way...

thanks every1,

Green_Day_584

Originally posted by Green_Day_584 View Post
    but i was wondering if smoothing groups on meshes effect performance in any way...
    No, they do not affect performance.

Smoothing groups is a term that usually refers to vertex (polygon/point/edge) normals. If normal values are the same on an edge that is shared between to neighbor polygons then these polygons become 'smooth'. This is default behavior on most of 3d applications, used for lighting purposes and this information is always exported.

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

Actually having multiple smoothing groups increases vertex counts. So yes it does affect performance and memory slightly.

It is recommended to only use a single smoothing group if you are normal mapping the model.

Comment

thanks for that info too! im not really new to 3DS Max, but iv been wanting to know whether it effects performance or not. im learning ZBrush so i can create really good normal mapped models, so this has helped a lot. thanks every1

Comment

Working...
          X