Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forcing paths (stupid bot flag carriers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forcing paths (stupid bot flag carriers)

I'm still working on my map, and one of the next things I'll have to do to make it really work is the following:

- Make bots able to swim and consequently get out of water if they fall in, but make them not want to
    - Make bots want to leave the enemy base as soon as they have the flag

The first is because the entire level is surrounded by water, and it's quite easy to fall in when hit by a shock rifle or something. I've added tons of ladders to make it somewhat easy to get out of the water once you're in, but that doesn't help the bots much if they don't have paths for those. On the other hand, I don't want my bots to think that swimming is a good idea, and only use those paths when they have to leave the water. How do I do that? There are forced directions, right? Will I have to play with extra weights, and how much extra weight makes sense? 0.01? 1? 100?

The second one - my bots are smart enough to find their way to the enemy flag. However, once they're there, they should leave the area ASAP, it's just the way the level works (and it is actually somewhat easy or at least perfectly possible to catch a jump pad out or hide behind some cover while running), or they're surrounded and dead. However, they don't want to. There's a weapon locker near the flag, and the first thing the bots do after getting the flag is going to that weapon locker, away from their own base. Then, they decide "oh, there's health packs at the other side of the base", and consequently pass the entire enemy base to get to those health packs. Instead of just getting the **** out of there. How do I teach them that they should leave when they have the flag, and not come back for "omg itamz"? Do I need Kismet for that? Is there an equivalent to those dedicated escape route nodes (AssaultPaths) UT2kx had?

I've read this bot pathing tutorial for UT2kx but unfortunately, haven't found anything remotely as useful for UT3. Is there anything I missed here that would make it unnecessary for me to ask stupid questions?

Originally posted by haslo View Post
    The first is because the entire level is surrounded by water, and it's quite easy to fall in when hit by a shock rifle or something. I've added tons of ladders to make it somewhat easy to get out of the water once you're in, but that doesn't help the bots much if they don't have paths for those. On the other hand, I don't want my bots to think that swimming is a good idea, and only use those paths when they have to leave the water. How do I do that? There are forced directions, right? Will I have to play with extra weights, and how much extra weight makes sense? 0.01? 1? 100?
    You can put an ExtraCost on the nodes. The cost is added to the physical distance to the node, so values in the hundreds or thousands is what you want.

Then, they decide "oh, there's health packs at the other side of the base", and consequently pass the entire enemy base to get to those health packs. Instead of just getting the **** out of there. How do I teach them that they should leave when they have the flag, and not come back for "omg itamz"? Do
    Bot flag carriers won't detour beyond one node for items, so if they're running to the other side of the base as you say, that's because they think it's the best exit path.

Comment

Thanks for your fast answers The extra cost is clear now.

For those exit paths, I'll try just adding a node between the weapon locker and the flag, because right now they're indeed only one step apart (and it's around 1024 units only, but those are important because the base is really easily accessible...).

Edit: I'm also making sure they have white or at least green paths for all the escape routes I want them to use - I didn't for a few

Comment

Working...
      X