Bots/bot pathing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bots/bot pathing?

I'm new to level editing and have never used unrealed before. Currently I'm working on my first map and so far it's coming along. I've almost completed building and decorating the map, and now I need to add pathnodes and etc. This is where I'm kinda stuck, I'm completely new to bot pathing and need a little help to begin. So if you could I would appreciate some tips or helpful tutorials on how to start with pathnodes and bot etc.

I haven't tried bot pathing yet (my first level isn't quite there yet) so I haven't tried this myself, but this guy's tutorial set is excellent and has a section on bot pathing:
    http://architectonic.planetunreal.ga...vel_part9.html

Note that it wass written for UTt004 so it may not be fully accurate.

Comment

Basically place a pathnode in every doorway. at each end of a corridor. On the bottom and top of a lift area if you have one.

For flying vehicles place volume pathnodes all at a good height. Remember that weapons an vehicles etc count as pathnodes as well.

Once you've done that build AI Paths, then in your perspective view press P. You should now see a load of lines. Those are the paths the bots are gonna use.

Comment

Thanks for the tutorial, I can tell it has a lot of information on pathnodes. But (yes I know this sounds basic) how do I actually make the bots to fight?

Comment

Umm, you don't, they already fight?

what do you mean by how do you make them fight, are they just standing still?

Comment

Bots should already shoot at any enemy that's nearby. My map currently has 1 player start and no path nodes, and when I summoned a bot he shot at me if he could see me - though he didn't move very far from the spawn point and kept having aneurysms. (at one point, ten corpses lying on the spawn point and I had killed none of them ).

You just need to add the pathing so they know how to walk around and you're sorted.

Comment

My question was how to actually make the bots?

Comment

I don't know what you mean by that, unless you are asking how to add bots to the level?

You don't add bots to the level - the game itself does that when you go to play it in-game.

Comment

or you can type "addbots #" in the console to spawn bots in the in-editor game.

Comment

I've tried adding bots through the console to spawn them in the editor, but it doesn't seem to work.

Comment

... or you can script a trigger in kismet using your pathnodes as spawn points if you wanted to "make bots" at a specific time and place in your level.

Comment

I also have another beginner question. Currently I have my map saved in Documents > My Games > Unreal Tournament 3 > UT Game > Unpublished > CookedPC > Custom Maps, but where do I save it to play it in-game and distribute it?

Comment

You can't spawn them in the editor itself.

When you click on the play map button and you get a window with a playable preview, you can add bots from the console in there - but only if your map is properly named (e.g. DM-mymap, CF-mymap, etc.)

If it is properly named the game starts as the desired game type, with sounds and weapons and proper game movement mechanics.

Otherwise, all you get is a small cross-hair and differing movement mechanics (can walk up steeper surfaces, no double-jump, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Burliminator View Post
                            I also have another beginner question. Currently I have my map saved in Documents > My Games > Unreal Tournament 3 > UT Game > Unpublished > CookedPC > Custom Maps, but where do I save it to play it in-game and distribute it?
                            You have to publish it first. Then the map will be in
                            Documents > My Games > Unreal Tournament 3 > UT Game > published > CookedPC > Custom Maps

Something like that anyway. The main difference being the map will be in the 'published' folder somewhere.
                            You then distribute the published map (and files that go with it) for people to play, not the one you've been working on.
                            The published map will likely be larger in size too.

Comment

Working...
                            X