Understanding lightmaps and overrides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding lightmaps and overrides

Just so i'm a bit clearer on this process (the lightmapping static meshes process explained by Hourences/DG in his tutorial)...does a higher number of lightmap resolution mean a more clearer lightmap? At the moment all my custom objects in my map have a resolution of 512, regardless of their size, is this a bad thing and will it affect performance?

The number that you specify in the StaticMesh Editor or the actual StaticMesh properties determines the size of the actual texture used for the lightmap. So a value of 256 is a 256x256 texture, 512 is a 512x512 texture.
    Whether you should use the value 512 is determined by the size of the StaticMesh itself and its scene relevance.
    A large StaticMesh that you can get close to may need a large lightmap texture so that it shows shadows nicely.
    However, if you start setting every StaticMesh in a map to large lightmaps, the size of the file and the amount of memory required to load the map will increase significantly. It may get too large to play on consoles. Each 512x512 DXT1 texture adds 342kb.
    Performance may also suffer depending on the size of the texture pool memory on the system.
    So you should optimize the lightmap use on every StaticMesh you insert. For SMs that are well tesselated, you may not need to use a lightmap, for SMs that are always far in the distance you may be able to get away with a 32 or 64 lightmap.

Comment

Ok got it, thanks

Comment

Working...
      X