Getting bots to crouch in the Darkwalker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting bots to crouch in the Darkwalker

The VCTF map I'm working on right now gives each team a Darkwalker, and for the purposes of limiting their effectiveness and for occlusion, most of the passages are low enough that a Darkwalker has to crouch to get through. The problem is that the bots seem to do this by first smacking against the wall, then crouching slightly, going back up, crouching slightly again, going back up, crouching slightly more, going back up, and then, if they're lucky, finally crouching enough to actually get through. Then if they somehow survived they find another wall to smack into and repeat the process.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do about this? I looked at Heatray and Floodgate, which also have areas that require a Darkwalker to lower itself, but couldn't find anything that helped it crouch properly when in the hands of a bot. The problem isn't that there's not enough vertical space - if you fully crouch with the Darkwalker it's well clear of the ceiling. The bots just don't go all the way down for some reason.

Originally posted by Setheran View Post
    The VCTF map I'm working on right now gives each team a Darkwalker, and for the purposes of limiting their effectiveness and for occlusion, most of the passages are low enough that a Darkwalker has to crouch to get through. The problem is that the bots seem to do this by first smacking against the wall, then crouching slightly, going back up, crouching slightly again, going back up, crouching slightly more, going back up, and then, if they're lucky, finally crouching enough to actually get through. Then if they somehow survived they find another wall to smack into and repeat the process.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do about this? I looked at Heatray and Floodgate, which also have areas that require a Darkwalker to lower itself, but couldn't find anything that helped it crouch properly when in the hands of a bot. The problem isn't that there's not enough vertical space - if you fully crouch with the Darkwalker it's well clear of the ceiling. The bots just don't go all the way down for some reason.
    My bots used to do this until I got rid of excess pathnodes around the obstacle & made the remaining nodes a centered straight shot under the obstacle. Doing this improved bot behavior in the darkwalker tremendously.

Comment

Working...
    X