Found a bug with blocking volumes - important for all mappers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a bug with blocking volumes - important for all mappers

In both maps I've made so far, I've had at least 1 part of the map where if you die/feign death, you get flung at very high speed, and often through walls etc.
    Sometimes feigning death, you will just die instantly instead of being flung away.
    My recent map, it was happening on a huge corner of the map, and I thought it was a BSP issue, as I used quite a few BSP made curves.

It turned out that it was caused by a TINY blocking volume nearby the problem area. It was just a diamond shape to guide you around a mesh on the wall so you didn't get stuck on it. Only about 16 units on x-y axis, causing a problem over about 3000x3000 units of my map.

I found the brush by a process of elimitation, which took well over an hour and many reloads.

Originally posted by CreepyD View Post
    .....if you die/feign death, you get flung at very high speed, and often through walls etc....
    That was a Blocking Volume....almost sounds like a Direction Volume?

Wow, will keep that in mind.

Thnks

Comment

very interesting... maybe an engine bug?

will remember this. ty

Comment

I think I had the same bug. A small blocking volume would block vehicles (including the hoverboard) over half the map. My solution was the same; several hours of elimination.

Comment

Ok, I was playing with Ladder Volumes last night and I was messing with properties on one side of the map where they were not working.

They flew me back pretty far when I jumped at them.

So now I'm off searching the forum for ladder volumes.

Thought I'd share that here.

Comment

I find this very interesting because 3 days ago I added a ladder volume in my level let's say at the 9 o'clock position on an aerial clock view.

A few days later I am having this invisible blocking volume problem(see this thread http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=601460 ) clear across the map (in an area that has been finished and working fine for sometime) in this thread I just posted.Going to delete my ladder volume tonight to see if that is the culprit.

Comment

Working...
            X