Face selection issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Face selection issue.

I have a slight problem with the editor.

Sometimes, I am unable to select a certain face of a brush.

For example, I create a cube. Texture the floor, walls and ceiling. But, say I want to re-texture the ceiling, it won't let me select the face, to make it blue. I can re-select the walls and floor, but not the ceiling.

Why is this happening?

Thanks in advance!

Bump.

Anyone?

Comment

are you working in addetive or substractive mode? In substractive make sure you're in the cube.

Comment

Subtractive.

When you say "in the cube", do you mean that the 3D camera viewport has to be inside the cube? If so, yes I've tried that.

Comment

sometimes this happens to me when still having selected the move widget. so i have to prevent the mouse from moving anything using the mouse pointer icon in the widgets toolbar (can't remember the name of that function and can't check it cause i don't have ut3 installed on my notebook...)
          did you try that?

Comment

Move widget?

I'm sorry. Don't know what that is.

Comment

heh, found something. basically explains the toolbar but they seem to have some other nice things there, too. hope this helps with your problem.

Comment

I've had this issue once or twice as well. When trying to click on a face it instead selected the nearest thing behind it, as if it wasn't there. I never solved the problem, but got by by simply clicking on a different part of the surface. It was only the middle portion that couldn't be clicked on for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Setheran View Post
                  I've had this issue once or twice as well. When trying to click on a face it instead selected the nearest thing behind it, as if it wasn't there. I never solved the problem, but got by by simply clicking on a different part of the surface. It was only the middle portion that couldn't be clicked on for some reason.
                  Heh. Yeah, it works when I click near the edge. Weird! Thanks man.

Also, there's another minor problem. Nothing serious, as I can work with it. It's just irritating.
                  When you select a face, it usually highlights itself blue. Well sometimes it disappears, meaning you have to deselect the face to see it again.

Comment

I am bumping this because when I searched for the problem I am having, I found that another had it through this thread.

I can not select the face of a brush. I added it and tried subtracting it as well. It is an additive map. I have tried rebuilding all and clicking on the edge as this thread suggests but to no avail. I have tried to build it by static meshes and by itself. Still have the same problem where the face can not be selected. I have tried to click the bottom face as well and I also can not click on that surface of that. In fact when I try to click on the surface of this brush It highlights anything that is underneath it. It is like the brush is not there even though it is visible.

Here is a picture of the brush I am trying to select the face.

Can't select this face

There is this thread and one more that offered things to try. I have tried all of them.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Comment

Well Bantis thats a static mesh right? well i think your selecting the wrong side of the normals. Lots of Unreal3 meshes (especially the planes) are only selectable from one side. TO change this try selecting it from underneath and scale by -1 in Z.

Comment

Originally posted by Hushpuppy View Post
                        Well Bantis thats a static mesh right? well i think your selecting the wrong side of the normals. Lots of Unreal3 meshes (especially the planes) are only selectable from one side. TO change this try selecting it from underneath and scale by -1 in Z.
                        No the face in the screenshot pointed to an additive brush. I tried making a subtraction brush as well but that too is unselectable. I have another additive brush that is a floor as well in the map and it works just fine. This floor I am trying to put down (that you can't select) also doesn't accept lights, ie. lights don't affect it.

The whole thing is just a mystery. I can't add a floor to the main part of my level until I figure this out.

Thanks for the reply though.

Comment

Just wanted to update this thread. I got it working. I added a box instead of a plane and that solved the problem. As a rule can you not use planes with an additive level?

Comment

Working...
                          X