Animation in Matinee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animation in Matinee

I am trying to create some cinematic sequences in UE3. I have created the assets and animation, but seem to be running into issues building the cinematic. I have been able to import a skeleton mesh and an animation to work with it in the animation viewer. I also have gotten the skeleton mesh on a track in Matinee, but I can't seem figure out how to attach the new animation that I have created onto the skeletal mesh in matinee. Any thoughts?

-c

You should have place the skeletal mesh as a SkeletalMeshActor in your map. Then, you have your group for your SkeletalMeshActor in Matinee. It has a property called GroupAnimSets. Assign the AnimSet containing the animation to an item in this array. You need an AnimControl track for this group. When you create keys on this track, it should pop up a list of all the animations contained in the AnimSet. Select one and you should see the animation show up in the timeline as a blue bar I believe. I think that is enough to get a simple animation to play (although I do forget things sometimes).

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I know I have to be doing something dumb. I have created the anim control track and created keys on it. Unfortunately, it just created keys and did not play the an animation from the animation set I have attached.

-c

Comment

The steps I listed above should work as I just tested it. Make sure you are assigning the AnimSet to the Group's GroupAnimSets array. That's really the key part.

Comment

Sweet! Figured it out. Turns out that I had the wrong concept of a curve key frame and a track key frame.
          Thanks again,
          -c

Comment

Hey ffejnosliw thanks also I have been trying to figure this out also and was stuck at the same spot.

Comment

Are there any tutorials out there that deal only with making cinematic sequences in UnrealEd?

Or that cover the FaceFx features?

Comment

Originally posted by gämmö View Post
                Are there any tutorials out there that deal only with making cinematic sequences in UnrealEd?

Or that cover the FaceFx features?
                I'm not sure to be honest, but if you have specific questions I will attempt to answer them.

Comment

Well basically I have a few people working with me on a movie idea and we wanted to be able to have this sort of control over our characters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABfASiCR4vo

Having watched all the tutorials on the Bonuz DvD, I'm left looking for more specific tutorials, in relation to actually making scenes like the cut-scenes in the Campaing mode of the game. Wich have the characters voice act the dialog. (Wich is very important for us to get working)

Any suggestions as to were to find some help?

Comment

Anything? Need something that deals only with making movies within the Editor, from animating your characters to inserting them into 'sets' (Maps made to look like movie sets), then charging up the enviroment with triggered effects and having the character/s walk and talk throught it all, in wichever way the script calls.

Comment

Originally posted by gämmö View Post
                      Anything? Need something that deals only with making movies within the Editor, from animating your characters to inserting them into 'sets' (Maps made to look like movie sets), then charging up the enviroment with triggered effects and having the character/s walk and talk throught it all, in wichever way the script calls.
                      Oh, is that all?

That's a lot of different subjects (many of which are pretty complex) and you aren't gonna find any one tutorial that covers it all. The videos that come with the Collector's Edition would be a good start. Like I said before, I can answer specific questions here, but these subjects are way to broad and complex to just spit out a tutorial in a post.

You need to know how the animation system in Unreal works including what AnimTrees are, how to make them, and how to use them to blend animations.

You need to know how FaceFX works and how to create a new facial animation using it. This is no small task...trust me. If you are planning on using custom characters, then you need to know how to set those up in Max or Maya and export an .FXA file using the FaceFX plugin.

You need to know Kismet and Matinee really well. This includes using cameras, animating characters in a level, triggering events, etc.

You need to know how to build a map and all that goes with that. Using BSP, placing meshes, creating materials, lsetting up ighting, using physics, creating particles, volumes, sounds, etc.

You basically need to have a solid understanding of all aspects in order to create a professional-looking cinematic sequence. Don't just go looking for tutorials specifically geared towards making movies. You probably won't find them. Start simple and work your way towards the goal of creating a professional cinematic.

Comment

For the sets, I already have a person building them (He makes maps, so knows his stuff). There won't be any custom characters, more like a custom skin over an existing character.

I'm thinking for starters, I would like to get a grounding in the relationship between UnrealEd, Matenee & Kismet. (I'm watching the DVD Tutorials again for this)

More to the point, were do I start..... If I follow that video clip on YouTube... what's the first step in getting that animation started?

Was that done in Max then exported into UnrealEd, or can you do all that inside UnrealEd?

Comment

Does anybody know? Someone showed me another link to a similar clip but they say they did it in Max (Animation) then imported it into Ut3....

Just curios as to what is better, like do I have to go to 3dMax to get such lifelike animation or is UnrealEd capable of doing it to the same standard?

UnrealEd is difficult enought for a n00b like me, let alone the daunting prospect of getting into 3dMax...

Since there is virtually nothing out there, it would be great if someone with experience in this would post a small procedural flowchart of the steps needed to take. It would be easy to follow throught as each step can be referenced to further information from the video tutorials and other tutorials....

Sort of like a loose framework that we can take away with us and work from as a reference to the structure and methodology of constructing cinematic sequences with Ut3.

It would not have to cover everything in extreme detail, that would be up to the users to further learn the tools.

Just an idea...

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                            Oh, is that all?

That's a lot of different subjects (many of which are pretty complex) and you aren't gonna find any one tutorial that covers it all. The videos that come with the Collector's Edition would be a good start. Like I said before, I can answer specific questions here, but these subjects are way to broad and complex to just spit out a tutorial in a post.

You need to know how the animation system in Unreal works including what AnimTrees are, how to make them, and how to use them to blend animations.

You need to know how FaceFX works and how to create a new facial animation using it. This is no small task...trust me. If you are planning on using custom characters, then you need to know how to set those up in Max or Maya and export an .FXA file using the FaceFX plugin.

You need to know Kismet and Matinee really well. This includes using cameras, animating characters in a level, triggering events, etc.

You need to know how to build a map and all that goes with that. Using BSP, placing meshes, creating materials, lsetting up ighting, using physics, creating particles, volumes, sounds, etc.

You basically need to have a solid understanding of all aspects in order to create a professional-looking cinematic sequence. Don't just go looking for tutorials specifically geared towards making movies. You probably won't find them. Start simple and work your way towards the goal of creating a professional cinematic.
                            YEah not asking much hey.... lol

Since no one has anything out there, I will attempt to do such tutorials... but don't expect it any time soon, in fact.. it will be months.. cause I'm a 120% proof n00b in the Editor... but I will try to make some tutorials about it all, simply because it makes NO sense that this aspect of the Unreal Engine is not as open and explained as the rest...

Still.. the more that help the better... I'll make a threath in future when i have some what of a starting point.... and everyone can contribute to make it comprehensive...

But by all means don't wait for me to start the ball rolling, wish some of you gurus would spill the beans with some of your secrets....

Comment

There are already tutorials available that cover the basics of all the various concepts you will need. It's putting them all together that seems to be what you are missing.

If you want custom animations like the clip you posted previously, then Max or Maya or XSI are going to be a necessity. UnrealEd has no tools for creating animations.

If you want to make cinematics, you are mainly going to be dealing with Matinee. That is UnrealEd's animation editor so that is what you will be working with most of the time. At the same time, you need to know most of the other tools and concepts just as well because you need stuff to animate. This is a really hard subject to just write up a bunch of tutorials on (trust me...I've done it) as it involves pretty much every aspect of UnrealEd.

Comment

Working...
                              X