How to make per-poly collision ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make per-poly collision ?

Well, I have complicated custom StaticMesh. And I have no idea how to make good-working collision on it. I've tried Auto-Convex collisions, I was experimenting with it a lot. Still a lot of bugs.
    Do you know how to make per-poly collision?

Direct answer to your question, no I have no clue (and never tried auto convex collisions either).

Have you tried building your collision volumes manually though? Building them with the builder brush in geometry mode and making a collision volume with it?
    Also, what kinds of bugs do you get?

Comment

Yes, I've tried makig collision volume brushes, but this Static Mesh is too complicated.

What king of bugs? For example a collision piramid on a flat place , etc. If you have some time, you can download dm-flatwars_beta2 and see, what king of collision bugs are on the sofa

Comment

I'll try and have a look this evening. Not sure if I can help with that though, since that pyramid thing really seems to be an implementation bug. A possibility could be to break up the complicated mesh into smaller sub-meshes and add those to UEd individually, but that's a long shot...

Comment

Hourences tutorial helped me- now Sofa has got per-poly collision and it warks almost perfect (of course I have to add some Blocking Volumes).
          Thank you haslo for being interested in my problem, and sorry for my English

Comment

I have used per-poly for caves and it usually works fine. I still use blocking volumes in areas. Also sometimes I noticed strange bugs with per-poly that cause the users view to make it seem like they are falling but they are not and they suddenly snap back. Only happens with some meshes that I import.

Comment

Here is a picture thar shows where to uncheck the boxes for per poly collision:

I've seen a few issues with using per poly collision, but I don't see another way around it - like, the ragdoll is messed up, and vehicles can drive/fly right through the meshes. Is this a bug or what? I know you can convert a brush as a collision model, but can you import a mesh as a brush and then a collision model? Just thinkin out loud here - because I do most of my levels in max and import it in detached chunks. And using the editor's geometry for things that I can do in max would be painfully slow and would inhibit my need to make whacked out stuff.

Comment

I also really need to find out how to use a per poly collision.

Comment

Originally posted by gWilson View Post
                  can you import a mesh as a brush and then a collision model? Just thinkin out loud here - because I do most of my levels in max and import it in detached chunks. And using the editor's geometry for things that I can do in max would be painfully slow and would inhibit my need to make whacked out stuff.
                  When you make your mesh in max you can make a very simple mesh over your model. This simple mesh will act as the collision for your model.

You just need to prefix the simple mesh so when you import it into the editor it knows it is a collision model.

This is from Hourences site.
                  # Collision made in an external package

All you need to do is to give the mesh you wish to use as collision the prefix UCX. Example: if the regular mesh is named Tree, the collision for Tree should be named UCX_Tree. Select both, and export both together into the same ASE file. Upon import the engine will recognize the UCX mesh, and assign it as collision model. It will not show up in the Generic Browser.

Comment

Working...
                  X