3d artist in need of UnrealEditor guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3d artist in need of UnrealEditor guidance

I'm an experienced 3d modeler/animator, but I have no idea where to begin when making a mod/level for Unreal. I've watched a lot of the training videos that came with the collector's edition, but they don't really talk about custom meshes much.
    So my question is where do I start? For example, I want to model a house that is accessible inside and outside. So should I model the house in Max or Maya first and then import it into Unreal as a static mesh or should I try to use the BSP in Unreal to make the walls of the house and then import props and stuff?

Thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to making a fun mod.

Actor X: look it up. It exports all 3D geometry into Unreal-able code. Works on any Unreal Engine.

Unreal's CSG system is alright, but well-build maya scene will work just fine, and you don't need to import your custom meshes as SM only, the T3d files can be used for CSG brushes as well. If you Have experience modeling level BSP in a 3D software tool (maya, 3Ds Max) then just export your BSP mesh via Actor X.

After you get your BSP imported: save the railings, light fixtures and/or other finer details for Static Meshes. Make sure your static meshes have no more than two textures applied to them. This will save your map's frame-rate. In the example of your house: the cars, furniture and doors should be SM, walls, floors, roofs and ceilings should be BSP

What else...?

Comment

Originally posted by dcanimation View Post
      I'm an experienced 3d modeler/animator, but I have no idea where to begin when making a mod/level for Unreal. I've watched a lot of the training videos that came with the collector's edition, but they don't really talk about custom meshes much.
      So my question is where do I start? For example, I want to model a house that is accessible inside and outside. So should I model the house in Max or Maya first and then import it into Unreal as a static mesh or should I try to use the BSP in Unreal to make the walls of the house and then import props and stuff?

Thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to making a fun mod.
      First read all Hourences tutorials about meshes and esp. making of Krodan and spire. There is also tutorial about how you should split your meshes for optimal rendering speed in UT3.
      Hourences Tut index

This will give you idea about optimal workflow when you want to make custom meshes.

Also If you do not want to make all textures by yourself, you need texture extraction tool for UT3, so you can use them to skin meshes.
      Texture extraction
      To minimize level size you should use stock textures everywhere it is possible.

That is for artistical view. Now (or rather before to it) you need to worry about game flow. To test it its best to create level layout from CSG. Then after you have it perfected you can create custom meshes.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I ended up finding the Hourence Tuts last night and they answered a lot of my questions. Now it's time to model...

Comment

Working...
        X