Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carving a whole CTF base out of an additive brush. Bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carving a whole CTF base out of an additive brush. Bad idea?

Let me elaborate. I started the map I'm working on as an additive map because I had the plan to mkae parts of it outdoors. But now I'm going to keep it all in doors. I'm working on the bases now, and I want to make it have several corridors and levels, but would find it much easier to carve out the world with subtractive brushes, rather than creating a brush for each floor, ceiling and wall of every hallway and room.

Would it be a bad idea to create a large additive brush that's the size I wish my base to be, and then using subtractive brushes to carve all the hallways and rooms out of it? It would be a real timesaver for me, as I've been working on this map for a while, and keep starting the base over due to troubles, or dislike of the current design. Being able to just carve things out would allow me to work on things much more quickly.

i have done a bace in that way myself and i ran into no problems with it. dont see any negative sides of doing it that way. all a subtractive lev is, is a giant addative block that ya start with.

but still se what others say as i have only read up on stuff now puting all into practice (aka im sorta noob :P)

Comment

I noticed no differences between ADDITIVE and SUBTRACTIVE, in frame-rate, but it wouldn't matter what u use, it's almost the same, except just gotta hit different buttons to get the effect.

Adding a block, then subtracting the interior will do the same as subtracting then adding.
      One is not better than the other(from what I've noticed) so you'll b fine either way

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyPeaches View Post
        Let me elaborate. I started the map I'm working on as an additive map because I had the plan to mkae parts of it outdoors. But now I'm going to keep it all in doors. I'm working on the bases now, and I want to make it have several corridors and levels, but would find it much easier to carve out the world with subtractive brushes, rather than creating a brush for each floor, ceiling and wall of every hallway and room.

Would it be a bad idea to create a large additive brush that's the size I wish my base to be, and then using subtractive brushes to carve all the hallways and rooms out of it? It would be a real timesaver for me, as I've been working on this map for a while, and keep starting the base over due to troubles, or dislike of the current design. Being able to just carve things out would allow me to work on things much more quickly.
        Way you think to do is the most optimal way to work with additive map. You basically make big additive brush as background for all substractive brushes, then work like in old substractive world. Creating separate brushes for walls, floors etc will only create too many brushes.

For eg to create room with 2 doors on opposite walls. To make it with separate walls, floor roof brush you need 6 additive and 2 substractive. To make it optimal way you need 1 additive and 2-3 substractive.

Also when I am making complicated map. I create big brushes for separate rooms, then every brush that carves from it goes to same group, also static meshes later go there to. Then i hide all rooms but one i am working on. Helps a lot with most maps.

Comment

Be careful about using too much BSP.
          Even my pretty simple DM-Codex had BSP issues.
          Bits of the map will end up throwing u at a zillion mph when u die/feign death.
          How much is too much I have yet to work out.. use as little as you possibly can!

Comment

CreepyD, is that caused by BSP in general or do you have some that might be overlapping?

Comment

Thanks guys. This will help me a lot.

I'm used to mapping with the Source SDK, and there are no subtractive brushes in Source, so every floor and wall needs to be built separately. Fortunately the Brush tools on the Source SDK are much more intuitive and easy to use, which makes things move along much more quickly. But I definitely like the ability to use additive and subtractive brushes in UE3. It adds a lot more possibilities to mapping, and makes certain things a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyPeaches View Post
                It's not a bad idea but if you are going to that I would just start over if your not to far into the map. One less blue cube you got to look at you know. I would rather work in a subtractive world just because that is the way UT03/4 worked and the way I got use to it.

I have used F.E.A.R.'s world edit SDK and HL2's Source and still prefer to work in a subtractive world in UE.

It's really up to you on how you want to do it and how you like to go about things. There really is no right or wrong way to do it if that is what your looking for. If you optimize it correctly that is.

(Crazy thought, we have the same avatar and the same exact number of posts now.)

~Death Dream~

Comment

Working...
                X