Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

n00b to Unreal Engine, where should I begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    here's what i recommend

The vtm's are lengthy,but I couldn't recommend watching them more.They start with the nub stuff and goes as far as you're willing to go.The good thing is if you do not have 1 to 3 months to burn on a level you can keep it simple.

Learn the basic UI of the editor and what the most commonly used buttons do.
    Many areas can be learned thru trial and error,but do not do that unless you have backups of your level.

Learn BSP addition and subtraction.Even though Hourences has shown us that levels can be made out of nothing more than mesh,most times your levels will not.

If u want to keep it simple make some BSP rooms and hallways and just assign different materials (texture) to them.Try duplicating some of the rooms and then just adjusting the overall shape with geometry mode to tweak your scale to what u want for that particular room.

Lighting can be very complicated to create the right atmosphere and realism,but doesn't have to just to play the map.It may look a bit sterile,but as long as u can see to fight then that should suffice until you get more comfortable to advance.Adding a light and messing with it's properties takes minutes.

Adding the meshes are easy too.Search for what u want in any of the packages and put them into your map in seconds.You can also go walking around Epic's maps and find out where anything you see and like is located so u can use it in your level.

Effects are not absolutely needed so I'd put Kismet and Cascade on the back burner until you have a handle on the other more important aspects of a level.
    Keep in mind-layout and gameplay go a lot farther than beauty and effects so try to give the basic BSP shell,item pick ups,and flow the most work.Don't stop there.If you want to lessen the BSP work then there are meshes that can be used for ramps,walkways,bridges,floors,walls,etc.You can get them into your level and just build it in pieces like lego's.

Also for your re-add mass comment.You can rescale everything in seconds.Just select the subtracted cube,or the 6 added brushes(walls,floor,ceiling) whichever method you used for your room,tap spacebar until you're using the scaling widget,and then resize the BSP as needed.I'd recommend getting scale right before u start decorating with meshes though.You really do not want to be rescaling a complete room.

I do advise you watch that final VTM that is labeled "Level Construction".It is the perfect learning video for a editor newbie because it walks u thru from start to finish and gives u just what u need to begin.They actually build a small map step-by-step.After that I'm sure you will be excited to get on with it.

Yeah UED is daunting at first,but you will be glad you put in the time.Things do get easier and the community is really good about helping people.Also there are numerous tutorials out there ranging from beginner to pro.

Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Vertigo101 View Post
    sweet

I have been reading up on Waylons tutorials and OMG! I can figure it out =) even know i'm not the type to read it and try it. I usualy watch listen and try.

http://waylon-art.com/LearningUnreal/

This will cover every thing from basic rooms to lights ramps and other things that are basic =) enjoy fuzzm4n!
    I will have to look at those tutorials. I am still a bit unclear on using additive. When I create a level that way and then decide I want it bigger I think it will re-add mass to the whole thing? Right? So far I can understand subtractive better. I think I might have to look for more tutorials (looking for creating Z axis gameplay) so I can get better in UnrealEd. I don't know if you need to create another level with the brush or use static mesh or material. Getting confused a bit.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    sweet

I have been reading up on Waylons tutorials and OMG! I can figure it out =) even know i'm not the type to read it and try it. I usualy watch listen and try.

http://waylon-art.com/LearningUnreal/

This will cover every thing from basic rooms to lights ramps and other things that are basic =) enjoy fuzzm4n!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here are the tutorials I am using. I think these were on the Collectors Edition as well.

http://www.stage6.com/Unreal-Engine-...orials/videos/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    your missing the tuts for building your first map. Theres a whole level they walk you though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I can figure out this editor best with Video tutorials.
    perhaps you can link the ones you got for us? =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am nearly done with the Intro to UnrealEd and then I guess I will look a little at the other stuff. As previously stated I already created the basic level in the Getting Started. Maybe it is time to start thinking of a basic theme for my first beginner map and or just play around some and see what some things are. I will have to look around a bit and see if anyone has posted certain dimensions for corridors and such. I don't know what will be a good sized level for a basic map. More than likely I will be using subtractive level design because the additive looked way to complicated.

Thanks for the info guys. I am sure I will be asking more questions in the future.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nouse4livE View Post
    Do the Intro to UnrealED & Getting Started.
    Kismet & Matinee wenn u need stuff like Doors and Lifts.... Materials when u get sick of the default texture
    I am slightly puzzled by what your saying here....

yeah I am just lost.

Also of the Matinee stuff is ment to be watched as you need it. They are expecting you to have the stuff setup already.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Do the Intro to UnrealED & Getting Started.
    Kismet & Matinee wenn u need stuff like Doors and Lifts.... Materials when u get sick of the default texture

Leave a comment:

• replied
    watch the 35 videos group at the end (the other videos are preparing you for that one)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Start with the getting started and work your way down.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic n00b to Unreal Engine, where should I begin?

n00b to Unreal Engine, where should I begin?

I would like to build custom maps for Unreal Tournament 3 and I really don't know where to start. I have 75 video tutorials made by Buzz.com that I downloaded from Stage6. They are pretty good tutorials and I have gone in and made the basic level (Getting Started tutorials). How far should I go into the tutorials before I even begin about thinking of a level design? How should a beginner start off? I might be jumping ahead of myself but is there a certain room size for jumping, dodging, jump boots, jump pads, etc.?

This is a list of the tutorials that I downloaded.

Getting Started - 10 tutorials
    Intro to UnrealEd - 35 tutorials
    Kismet - 5 tutorials
    Materials - 7 tutorials
    Matinee - 9 tutorials
    Particles - 9 tutorials
Working...
X