Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Lights, Attaching to Movers, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Lights, Attaching to Movers, etc.

Hey.

I'm just learning Matinee, Kismet, and relating what I know about UT2004 to the new stuff.

I have an elevator which works through Interpolate Pawn Attached triggering a simple movement matinee sequence. The elevator works, but I'm wanting to have a light inside turn on when you step in, and move with the elevator.

I had a Toggle Point light working through a switch, but it stayed on the ground of course. So I tried a Movable Light. I tried simply attaching the light node to the Matinee sequence Mover group input node in Kismet, hoping it would hitch a ride, but no luck.

Is there a way to add more movers/lights to an existing Matinee movement track?

Am I going about this all wrong? I've also tried the attach flags with no luck.

I also know that I'm going to want to attach things to a moving parent in the future.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Set the Physics property of the Light to PHYS_Interpolating.

Comment

Sorry to mention, but I already did that as well. No luck.
      I'm getting a cross-package error when trying to use the Interpolate Actor as the attach in my light properties. I've saved all my packages, rebuilt and saved my level as well. Nothing

Comment

did you try setting the attach property on the movable light to the elevator staticmesh?

Comment

Uh, yeah I tried that. See? /\

"I'm getting a cross-package error when trying to use the Interpolate Actor as the attach in my light properties. I've saved all my packages, rebuilt and saved my level as well. Nothing"

lol

Thanks anyway

Anyone successfully attach a light to a mover?

Comment

There are two lights you can use in the actor class browser. A PointLightMovable and a SpotLightMovable.

You can attach them to your interpactor in the Attachment section of the lights properties.

Tick bHardAttach > click the padlock icon at the top of the box > select the interpactor you want to attach it to > click the green arrow for the "Base" property.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin27 View Post

"I'm getting a cross-package error when trying to use the Interpolate Actor as the attach in my light properties. I've saved all my packages, rebuilt and saved my level as well. Nothing"
              Do you have any AmbientSoundSimple or AmbientSoundSimpleTogglable in your map by any chance?

I've had the exact same error at different times in my map. Once i removed all instances of the sounds i mentioned above from my map, done a rebuild all, saved the map under a diifferent name, quit and reloaded UED/The Map, attachments started to work again!

I've run into so many odd problems that i can track back to those sound types i mentioned being in a map.. take them out and things go back to normal.

Why.. i do not know.. but sticking to AmbientSounds seems not to trigger this problem all the time.. but i've had to remove all the sounds at least twice from my map to get around this issue.

Comment

This cross-package reference may be caused when name of your level is something not simple. For time you creating your level name it as: Dm-MyMap01 and so, no fancy characters besides "minus" numbers and chars. I found out that editor fails to find package when you have fancy filename.

Comment

Anyone successfully attach a light to a mover?
                  Ive successfully attached several lights to a mover using a PointLightMovable and setting the Attachment->Base to the parent InterpActor as shown below:

in Matinee, you move only the parent InterpActor, in this case InterpActor_181, and everything else will follow. It may take moving the time slider in Matinee to show the changes in the editor.

Hope this clears up what I was referring to earlier.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

Sound - I haven't got any sound in the level at all

Naming - Simple name, no spaces or special chars

Attach - I've tried several times to do exactly that before posting, but cross reference error pops up.

My meshes and Textures are in seperate packages. Is THAT the cross package it's referencing? The light has nothing to do with either.

And should I be putting all of my assets for the level in one big upk file?

Thanks.

Comment

If you can't move a light through matinee and attaching doesn't work for you, there is obviously something wrong with your setup or your naming or something else. There's not much we can do without more information, such as seeing your setup and knowing what you have named all these packages and anything else you can think of that might be pertinent.

Comment

The problem is you can either use a point light toggleable to turn the light on and off.

Or a point light movable to move up and down with the lift.

But not both the movable wont toggle and the toggleable wont move.

Comment

You can toggle a movable light. That's not the problem here.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                            You can toggle a movable light. That's not the problem here.
                            So you can.

I couldn't get it to work earlier.

So a PointLightMovable is movable and toggleable.

[SHOT]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/ZooT32/light.jpg[/SHOT]

Comment

A bit late now, but to get around the "cross package reference blah blah" error when trying to set the base for an attachment, you can type the name of the actor in, rather than selecting it and using the button.

Comment

Working...
                              X