Particle Systems in Kismet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Particle Systems in Kismet?

I made a particle system that works off a whole kismet function tree. The system runs once and doesn't loop but I don't know how to start it through kismet.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? I may be able to help, but I'd need to know what triggers the event and what it's supposed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadeMistress View Post
      What exactly are you trying to accomplish? I may be able to help, but I'd need to know what triggers the event and what it's supposed to do.
      Sure thing, I have an interpactor mesh that moves when it takes damage, turns off a pointlight toggelable, and directly after the interpactor finishes moving I want to run multiple particle systems at the same time.

Comment

Okay I actually found the kismet particles tutorial which I'm watching right now but I still haven't found what i want to do. Before the interpactor takes any damage, I want that emitter to be completely stopped and reset, because it only loops once. I can see you change parameters in kismet but what's the parameter that says when the game starts I want it off, and when this thing is hit it turns on?

Comment

In the Emitter Properties and there is a Flag called "bAutoActivate" under Emitter>ParticleSystemComponent

Make sure you un-tick that so it doesn't start when your map starts.

Then, if you want it to trigger the Emitter only after the Mesh is done moving, make a Delay with a Float Variable equal to the length of time of the complete Mesh animation.

Next, plug the Matinee Completed into the Delay Start.

Plug the Delay Completed into a Toggle On.

To be safe make another Delay and set it's float as the length of time to complete one cycle of the Emitter (or at minimum start one cycle of each, otherwise the following thing will turn off the emitter before it gets to emit anything).

Plop your emitter in there and plug it into the Target of the Toggle.

Plug the Toggle into the second delay you made, then Plug the Delay Completed into the Toggle Off. This will turn the emitter off and reset it.

I dunno if that's easy enough to follow, but I sure hope so. Ask any questions if ya need to.

EDIT: you may be able to omit the first Delay, but I am still not 100% on that, as I just started with Kismet a couple days ago.

Comment

Well, telling me where to find bAutoActivate helped HUGELY but without any special delay nodes, I just put a toggle turn on in there after matinee completed and it worked perfectly. I already told my emitter to work once and kill after, so I don't need any extra switches. Thanks and If I may just add one last thing to this thread, how do I add a custom sound in? I don't think the editor has it but I need a real crashing noise of breaking glass. It's gotta be a mono something?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex247365 View Post
              how do I add a custom sound in? I don't think the editor has it but I need a real crashing noise of breaking glass. It's gotta be a mono something?
              http://help.hourences.com/tutorialsue3sound.htm

Comment

Yeah, you'll have to import your sound, then make a new sound cue (Right-Click in Generic Browser>New SoundCue)

Then right-click your new Sound Cue and open the Sound Cue Editor.

I forget exactly how I did this, I think you have to select your sound in the background Generic Browser, then right-click in the Sound Cue Editor to add the sound there.

From there, you have to add an Attenuation to run the effect through to simulate a falloff radius or it will be heard by everyone in the map at full volume.

Then just plug the sound into the attenuation, then plug the attenuation into the speaker.

Save your map and go double-click your sound cue and it should play.

This is by far the easiest way to do a sound effect if you already have a 16-bit wav (doesn't like anything but 16-bit wavs if that's what you plan on using) that sounds fine as-is.

You can tweak the pitch and volume in the Cue editor, as well as a few other things.

Comment

Working...
                X