Terrain Foliage Layer Scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrain Foliage Layer Scaling

I'm not worried about the draw distance being low for foliage in deco layers, but the scaling issue looks really terrible and I can't understand for the love of God why the engine does it. Is there any way to disable it? I'm guessing there isn't but I thought I'd ask.

I'm not sure what you are referring to. First of all, foliage and decolayers are two separate entities. Second, are you talking about the random scaling of the meshes in foliage or decolayers? That is there to provide variation and is completely controllable. If that's not what you mean, please be more clear as to what you mean.

Comment

Sorry 'bout that I meant foliage layers. 'tis 1:15am over here [/failure attempt at covering self]

If you go on Torlan you can see it. The grass starts very small far away where it pops into existence before scaling up to the correct size when you're very near it. It's obviously the engine's way of stopping popup being so obvious but I can't understand why they didn't just use alpha blending instead. Clear enough?

Comment

OK, I see what you mean now. You can control it with the MinTransitionRadius and MaxDrawRadius properties, but I don't know of a way to disable it. This is all just guessing, but I suspect they did it because transparency is more expensive and the less screen space a mesh (actually a material) occupies, the easier it is to render. So scaling it down may be more efficient than fading it out.

Comment

I understand the smaller mesh issue but the alpha issue wouldn't make sense since the grass is alpha blended anyway. Thanks very much for that

Comment

Technically, the grass is probably masked I believe. It's either fully opaque or fully transparent. It would seem that the second you bring gradient transparency into play, you introduce some serious overdraw which is hard on the rendering engine.

Comment

I'll take your word for that. I don't much about the inner workings of rendering in UE3 but I can't understand why an alpha mask would effect performance less than a single alpha value. Oh well, thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X