materials in terrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

materials in terrain

i cannot figure out for the life of me how to get my materials into the terrain. i know how to use the different brushes to make hill and stuff and i know how to get my material in the terrain editor as a layer but it wont let me paint with it. is there somthing in the terrain properties i need to have checked?? i will appreciate any feedback thanks

Do a search on the forums, there are a lot of threads on how to create terrain layer setups. There is also a tutorial at hourences.com

Basically: Texture -> Material -> TerrainMaterial -> TerrainLayerSetup -> Terrain actor.

So you need your Material, assign that to a TerrainMaterial and set the tiling, then assign that to a TerrainLayerSetup and use procedural settings if you want, and assign that to the Layers array on the Terrain actor.

Comment

Personally I have problems just finding a material that can be used as terrain and is meant for terrain, and not a player model's body texture.

I found like one texture that works and it's a terrain texture of rocks, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
        Do a search on the forums, there are a lot of threads on how to create terrain layer setups. There is also a tutorial at hourences.com

Basically: Texture -> Material -> TerrainMaterial -> TerrainLayerSetup -> Terrain actor.

So you need your Material, assign that to a TerrainMaterial and set the tiling, then assign that to a TerrainLayerSetup and use procedural settings if you want, and assign that to the Layers array on the Terrain actor.
        i made a new layer in the material editor the option that has (auto create) at the end of it but i dont know what tiling and procedural setting are

Comment

Originally posted by Kanaru View Post
          Personally I have problems just finding a material that can be used as terrain and is meant for terrain, and not a player model's body texture.

I found like one texture that works and it's a terrain texture of rocks, but that's about it.
          There are a pile of terrain materials in UN_Rock, UN_Rock2, UN_Sand, UN_Snow, UN_Terrain, UN_Terrain2, etc.

Originally posted by theadvanced1 View Post
          i made a new layer in the material editor the option that has (auto create) at the end of it but i dont know what tiling and procedural setting are
          It would be best to look at one of the tutorials such as the site I mentioned above. It is way too long for me to type all of the features and functions here. When UDN3 opens to the public it will also have a lot of terrain tutorials.

Comment

You can make a 'material' from any 'texture'---->you can make a 'terrain material' from any material------>you can make a 'terrain layer setup' from any 'terrain material'.

I had a bunch of frustration with getting layers to work until I took DGUnreal's advice to everyone and made the the materials, terrain materials, and terrain layer setup layers manually, within my package.

Try it, you get lost just tell me where you're at and I'll tell you what's next. Textures are in practically every package, the rest can be made or copied.

Comment

thanks for all the feedback ill keep messing around with it. eventually ill get it right haha

Comment

Working...
              X