Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Infinite" appearance - how to?

Hey fellow mappers,
    I'm trying to make a map that's supposed to be an island in the middle of an endless sea of lava at night. I'd like to simulate that visually, but I know creating an extremely large "lava" sheet brush out to the edge of a very, very large skydome might be CPU-intensive on some players. Is there a better way?

Thank you!

Simulate atmospheric effects, for example the heat and steam emitted by the lava in shape of distance fog or fog ring to shorten the view distance. You can add noise to the fog too.

Comment

That's a very good idea, actually. That'll help jazz up my lava a bit too. Thank you!

Comment

Err...paint me noobish, but how exactly would I create that fog volume? I looked through the special volume menu but didn't find anything about fog. I tried CullDistanceVolume but that didn't do the trick.

Comment

Endless lava or water is best done with a fairly large static mesh sheet that is repeated but it needs to be far enough away that you can't see the joins.

Because it is the same static mesh it is easy on the engine to render and because it repeats the engine will not render all the ones not in the players field of view.

So it needs to be not too large but also not too small.

Originally posted by Argus9 View Post
          Err...paint me noobish, but how exactly would I create that fog volume? I looked through the special volume menu but didn't find anything about fog. I tried CullDistanceVolume but that didn't do the trick.

http://help.hourences.com/tutorialsue3fog.htm

Comment

I'm not using a static mesh, I created a sheet brush with the lava material and stretched the vertexes to the edge of my map. It seems alright, I'm just wondering if there's a better way to accomplish this (lightening the CPU load, mainly).

Comment

Thanks, I'm playing around with that fog now.

Comment

You mentioned creating the "heat" for the lava. I'm thinking of a "noise" effect on the lava. I'm playing around with the PostProcessingVolume for it but I'm a bit confused on how it works, could anyone please explain how I'd go about this? Thanks.

Comment

You can create a large single two-triangle sheet that is 512k units square and place it across the entire world area, it will work no problem, you just have to be aware of fill rate, same as sky domes.
                  Using multiple emitters or a map-wide FogVolume will usually require more horsepower than a simple sheet ground-plane.

Comment

Working...
                  X