Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

How to create mod custom character .ini data

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to create mod custom character .ini data

Unlike some other systems, the custom character system doesn't scan all .ini's you have for custom character data. They have to be set up a specific way.

First, create a new directory inside \My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomChars\. The directory name can be anything you want. Inside this directory, add a new file named UTCustomChar.ini. In this file, any .ini data you add will be merged into the UTCustomChar.ini in the Config directory. The format is the same as Default*.ini files, which means to add entries to an array you need to prefix them with '+'. For example:

Code:
    [UTGame.UTCustomChar_Data]
    +Parts=(Part=PART_Head,ObjectName="MyTestPackage.MyTestHead",PartID="M",FamilyID="IRNM")
    Note: The first time you run the game with your new .ini, it will not take effect. You will have to exit and run the game again. This is a bug in the engine that will be fixed in the next patch.

Uninstalling: Since the updated .ini gets written to disk, removing the mod files won't get of the .ini entries. However, if all your custom character mods are set up using this system, you can simply delete the UTCustomChar.ini file in your Config directory and it will get regenerated from the base data and remaining mods.

just wondering Mysterial, where can i find tutorials or something on setting up a custom character? i cant find it on teh UDN yet lol

Comment

yea and by tutorials, not creating a character with unreal 3s materials and uvs, but our own materials from sctrach.

Comment

I'll still complain about the convoluted model system behind your back, but thank you very much for this info.

Comment

Thanks
          This is exactly the kind of info we were missing.

I do have 2 questions :
          • is it possible to modify or delete an entry instead of adding it ?
          • how do we change the statistics for a bot-character if we can only add new entries ?

Deleting the UtCustomChar.ini is not an option if you've modified this file by adding new parts or characters without this method.

Comment

thanks for the info

sarcasm:- 13 lines takes 2 months to write, better late than never !

ps how about so help on custom factions !

Comment

Originally posted by JaFO View Post
              is it possible to modify or delete an entry instead of adding it ?
              It follows the default .ini syntax, so minus can be used to remove lines. The only exception is the Parts array, which can only be added to using this method due to some technical issues (that aren't planned to be fixed)

Deleting the UtCustomChar.ini is not an option if you've modified this file by adding new parts or characters without this method.
              Well, it adds all the entries to the end of the section so it wouldn't be terribly difficult to remove them manually. It just won't be done for you.

ps how about so help on custom factions !
              Custom faction support is coming in the next patch.

Comment

Now that is Great News cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial View Post
                  It follows the default .ini syntax, so minus can be used to remove lines.
                  Where can I find info on this syntax ?
                  The UDN doesn't list anything that is open to the community.

The only exception is the Parts array, which can only be added to using this method due to some technical issues (that aren't planned to be fixed)
                  I guess the fact that there isn't key that is unique enough may have something to do with that, or doesn't it ?

Well, it adds all the entries to the end of the section so it wouldn't be terribly difficult to remove them manually. It just won't be done for you.

That is great news for a lot of people

Comment

Originally posted by geodav View Post
                    Now that is Great News cheers
                    Sure they are! Hooray!

Comment

Thanks for the info Mysterial
                      So much to do now. Time to get to work on making all that custom stuff. Hopefully there will be more documentation on some things like how to make a customization room for a faction.

Comment

Enabling the "Use Rotations Only" flag for animations sets, the animations work great in UED reagardles of how you scaled the skeleton. The flag just doesn't carry over in game. Epic must have thought of people who scale skeletons differently that the original unreal chars, saving you from making 130 anims. The flag already has exceptions for bones that need translation.

Check the description for that flag in UED and tell us how to enable it in game.

Comment

Custom faction support is coming in the next patch
                          Sweet!
                          ...and when is the patch planned to be released?

Comment

...and when is the patch planned to be released?
                            as always "when it's done"

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial View Post
                              Thanks for the info. I was just about digging through the .inis for a way to do this when I found this thread. I'll just have to sit tight and wait for the next patch.

Not to sound ungrateful but I was a little disappointed by the lack of custom character tutorials on Collector's Edition. The level designers got all the goods this time around.

Comment

Working...
                              X