Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting hands dirty with UEd and also getting frustrated (3 Problems/Questions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting hands dirty with UEd and also getting frustrated (3 Problems/Questions)

first of all, im really new to UEd though i've been playing UT since '99
    now i plan to make a TC Mod for UT3 (i know it sounds funny). i'm still learning things...

anyways, currently making a CTF map with some "interactive hazard" kind of thing.
    now i ran into 3 problems.
    1. I created the whole red side. edit > select all > alt drag > 180 rotation
      now after a few little edits, i have red and blue base working properly except:
      the "subtractive" brushes (its a subtractive level) of red base are missing "sides" (walls/roofs/floors). the brushes are there. the polygons are there. only the surfaces are missing. rebuilding didnt help.
      the newly created blue base is perfect. if I copy from current red base with missing "sides", i get a perfect copy of red base (with surfaces; with materials). but that one still remains surfaceless. why?

btw, i have just copied the surfaceless brushes, deleted them, put the copied in there.

2. I have a gargoyle at the center of the map, emitting flames and blocking the only** (prob 3) way until a trigger is used.
      the problem is that, I want the flames to to huge damage over time (almost kill) but not insta kill. So i used a Physics Volume (Damage per sec, cause pain, damage type fire) instead of a Kill volume.
      now the problem is that, i can run/jump through that volume 95% of time without getting hurt! it only starts to damage the player if s/he stays in the volume for a second. The volume is pretty small; can be run past in less than a second resulting no damage. how do i fix this?

3. i thought teleporting drops the flag but it seems only translocators do that. so i have this UTTeleporter which should leave the flag back (like translocator). any simple way to do that?

btw, how did EPIC (let alone us) worked with such a editor that crashes 20 times a day?

As far as the gargoyle, could you perhaps make a second - invisible physics volume that is slightly larger (so the player will be in the damage radius sooner and take damage)?

For the flag dropping, I'm sure you can find a way using Kismat to drop the flag. There is a conditional you can find

Right Click > New Condition > Is Carrying Flag

I can't find an action that is real obvious for dropping a flag, but I'm sure a more experienced user can help you more.

Comment

cant do that. and besides, a player can use dodge and cover a lot of distance at once.
      the map is really small. i didn't even plan to make it a playable one.

yes, i have though of that is carrying flag...but i was looking for an easy way out. i mean, its a teleporter. it should come with that option!

Comment

About to first question:
        You need to change order of your BSP brush creation. You can do it by selecting brush , then right slick and put "CSG order" > "to first" or "to last". But select brush in wireframe , not its surface!

However there is small tip how to order your whole map:
        First select smallest substractive bsp, like doorframes, windows, etc. make "To first"
        then select bigger BSP geometry amd again make "to first"
        then those biggest "foundation" BSP brushes and again "To FIRST"

or Imagine you want to sort play cards (this may be easier to undestand):
        you pick lowest cards first, and put them all to bottom.
        then you put all those middle cards and again put them to bottom
        then you get biggest and put them to bottom.
        result will be:
        smallest at to, then middle ones, then biggest at very bottom.

And just remember: you need first add so you can later substract, and because you doing all in reverse order you need to move first substractive mesh then additive, so additive ends below substractive.

Edit: or you just got Hall of Mirrors effect (HOM) this usually happens when engine gets confused from complicated BSP structure, or not aligned walls etc. Ordering all BSP may help with removing HOM.

Comment

i kinda got what you to me to do but im lost why i have to do that..

my red base was 2 subtractive box; in fact its the modified version of 3D Buzz's tutorial.
          so it is not complicated bsp.

when i was having problems, i opened up a new level.
          made a subtractive box. applied material.
          did the same as before (alt drag, rotate).
          the copies were perfect and the original had surfaces too.

but in my level, after copying (the copy is ok) the surfaces just disappear from the original. making copy from the current original (with missing surface) results in copy with surfaces, materials...

Some more problems:
          1. the breath fire is accompanied by a light that casts nice dynamic shadow off everything near it. but the problem is that if i go about 300/400 units away from the gargoyle, it's shadow disappears instantly. what can i do to make shadows visible from distance (and blur out by distance)?

2. i dont want people to use translocator in this map. what is the simplest way to remove it?

Comment

Originally posted by CvP
            the breath fire is accompanied by a light that casts nice dynamic shadow off everything near it. but the problem is that if i go about 300/400 units away from the gargoyle, it's shadow disappears instantly. what can i do to make shadows visible from distance (and blur out by distance)?
            It might be done by customizing the LoD in your Particle system. I just watched the first couple of videos from the CE tutorials on the Particle system; Level of Detail was said to control just what effects were visible from a distance. You could even create custom levels of detail, so the answer might lie in there somewhere.

Comment

Simplest way to remove the TL would probably be to remove the player's whole inventory and just put a weapon locker by every spawn point including the Enforcer. This is in the World Properties (View>World Properties...) I believe and is labeled something like bRemovePlayerInventory or bPlayerStartInventory

A harder way would be to setup a thing in Kismet with the Conditional being PlayerSpawns and use a RemoveInventoryItem or something similar.

I haven't fiddled alot with Kismet, so I know I don't have a real definitive approach as to the second method, but the first one should work.

Comment

the shadow is not related to particle system. it's a separate light.
                however, LoD might be the thing but a light properties has no LoD settings...

i have thought of that but wanted to "remove the TL if it is present". so, my map will be compatible with any kind of mutators. and besides, i care less about my maps and more about learning UE3. so i try to do things in a complicated way

i tried
                Player Spawned Event > get property class'*' from player> class'UTGame.UTTranslocator' isInObjectList > if yes, remove it

in place of *, i used
                Engine.Inventory
                Engine.InventoryManager
                UTGame.UTInventory
                UTGame.UTInventoryManager

no results so far

btw, i have used a killz volume at last cause i found out what is causing Physics volume not to damage.

If you look at physics volume code, it uses a "volume timer" to damage.
                if you look at volume timer code, it uses a function which by design damages after 1 second and keeps doing that every second.

Comment

Working...
                X