Unable to paint terrain. Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to paint terrain. Why?

I followed Hourences Terrain Tutorial for creating terrain in the UT3 Editor, and I added my material layers succesfully, but neither of them show in the editor. I have the first layer, and a secondary material layer for painting. The first layer doesn't get applied to the terrain. I still have the checkerboard pattern. And when I try to paint the 2nd layer, still nothing happens.

I even tried Hourences tip to either move the terrain or expand it to get painting to work if it isn't. But that didn't work either.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it?

Using that tutorial I can't even manage to get material layers added, myself. For some reason it asks twice in a row for a name and package, then doesn't do what the tutorial says it should. I think it's because it wasn't written specifically for UT3's editor, and some details are slightly different.

Comment

So use a different tutorial. Okay.

I was hoping the UT3:CE bonus DVD would have a tutorial on Terrain, but going through the entire video list, I see nothing on it, unfortunately.

Did you find another tutorial that worked?

Comment

I assume you tried the move trick? The tutorial mentions it... I had the same problem until I moved the terrain mesh. Also, make sure you select a "terrain material", DGUnreal explained it in another thread:

Originally posted by DGUnreal
        The way that the terrain system works is:

Textures -> Materials -> TerrainMaterials -> TerrainLayerSetups.

You use Textures to create Materials.
        You assign Materials to TerrainMaterials along with their Tile values.
        You assign one or more TerrainMaterials to a TerrainLayerSetup with optional Height/Slope values.
        One or more TerrainLayerSetups are added to the array of Layers on the Terrain actor.

You can't shortcut and simply apply a Texture or Material or TerrainMaterial directly to a Terrain Layer.
        And the Terrain only supports (usually) a maximum of around 4 to 6 Materials depending on the design and number of underlying Textures in the Materials.
        Last thing I'd try, as DGUnreal mentioned it for using second layers on the terrain, is to save the map and restart the editor.

Oh, here's the threads I've recovered with useful information on terrain editing:

Can't see terrain layers
        Painting new layers
        Terrain Issues
        Trouble with terrain layers

Comment

Sometimes you need to close terrain tool and reopen it to register new layers and materials.

And if you follow Hourences tutorial and select "lock location" for terrain, then when you press ALT while painting layer you may just make new copy of your terrain without moving it (because location is locked). And after that you just try to modify wrong terrain.

Another problem with terrain tool is that it notoriously tries to paint on wrong terrain if you have multiple terrains. So you need to make all other terrains invisible. This goes really well with ALT+drag copying by mistake.

And make sure you hawe non zero strength and radius brush.

Comment

First off, I never add Layers through the Terrain Edit dialog, that doesn't always work as expected on all systems. So I would ignore that area of H's tutorial.
            Instead, manually create the Material, TerrainMaterial and TerrainLayerSetup objects in the generic browser, setting their properties as desired for Tiling and such, and all of these should preferably be located in your map package. Then assign the TerrainLayerSetup directly into the Layers array in the Terrain actor. Then open the Terrain Edit dialog and select the layer and paint. I have never had this technique fail on me.

Usually to refresh the material system for the terrain all you have to do is click on the RM (Recache) button on the Terrain Edit dialog.
            In some cases on some systems you may have to exit and restart UnrealEd, this is a known bug that should be fixed on the next patch.

Comment

When you are creating a terrain layer 2 dialogs pop up. You have to fill in both, the first one is for the edit layer and the other one for the material. Just use the same package and name. If you close the second dialog without adding to it the layer will be empty and you only see the default material.

Hourences tut is not UT3 specific, and it doesen't go into detail about how to design your terrain. There is a good 2k4 tutorial on architectonic that explains it a bit better. The basics are the same although the workflow and tool set is a little bit different.

Comment

I have noticed that alot of times the generic browser will de-select anything selected when you try to open the terrain editor.

You'll have to have both open, browse to the material you want on that part of your terrain...

Then go find the Layer that you created and open it (by clicking the arrow next to it), there should be a small picture of the texture you tried to put there. If there isn't, then it did as I said and de-selected your material right before creating the layer and is referencing a blank image... so it loads the default material in it's place....

So, go ahead and fix this by deleting the blank image UNDER whatever your Layer Name is... Then right-click on the layer name of your default terrain material (making sure the material is still selected in the Generic Browser), and go to where it says "Add Selected Material After This" or something very similar...

It should instantly change to the selected material and you should have that tiny preview image under the SetUp Layer Name....

You can do this with all other layers too...

I have to do this alot because of a bug causing the Generic Browser to de-select anything selected before adding it to your new SetupLayer, which defeats the whole purpose of creating the setup layer from a material....

Comment

Working...
                X