Falling off the level to your death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falling off the level to your death?

how is this done? I mean I could just make a flat platform under my level and have it so gravity kills the player, but I know there has to be another simpler way to do it. any input helps... I've almost concluded my first map ever and I can't wait to share it

EDIT:
    also knowing how to change global gravity would be nice to know too

Add a KillVolume, that's it....

About changing global gravity, I have only been able to succesfully accomplish this by making a GravityVolume that encompasses the entire map.

Comment

You do not even need to do a kill volume. In the world properties is a bkillDepth or distance (something like that) That sets a line in the map that will kill anything instantly that falls past that line. Move it so it is just below the bottom of your map. So if anyone happens to get out of your map they die pretty fast. Not left falling. I think the starting distance is like 500000 or something. That is a long fall. I brought it way down to about 5000 in my current map. If you zoom out it will show a red line through a side or front view showing you where the kill zone is.

Comment

The Killz line is a bad way of doing it in my experience. With the kill volume ShadeMistress mentions you get a better effect where the camera stops to watch your ragdoll falling, whereas the Killz zone just removes your character and anything else that touches it altogether.

Comment

I guess it depends on what you are using it for. My reference was basically a bug handler. If for some reason a player escapes or pops completely outside of your level you want them destroyed and back in the game ASAP. This should not be used to replace an area in the playable area of the level where oyu want people to die.

Now if you want them to die when they fall off a building, the volume is the way to go so there is still the effect of thier demise.

Do both to cover all bases.

For global gravity, I think I saw a setting in the World Properties to modify that...

Comment

exellent.. thanks for the input guys... yeah I think I like the ragdoll idea since You can fall off my map fairly easily and its a nice punishment for the player to watch themselves die for a second

EDIT: I'm having a bit of trouble finding and/or adding KillVolume.. is it UTKillZVolume under the Actor Classes Tab? if so, how do I go about adding onto my map? I dont seem to have the option when right clicking. Sorry, I'm still fairly new to all of this :/

Comment

Originally posted by lithium9mm View Post

EDIT: I'm having a bit of trouble finding and/or adding KillVolume.. is it UTKillZVolume under the Actor Classes Tab? if so, how do I go about adding onto my map? I dont seem to have the option when right clicking. Sorry, I'm still fairly new to all of this :/
              Make the red builder brush the size you want the killzvolume to be and put it in the position you want it.

On the left hand side of the screen tool bar near the bottom is a blue cube icon.

Right mouse click it and choose UTKillZVolume.

Comment

PS make it really really big

Comment

You should always set the KillZ appropriately on your map so that it recycles anything that accidentally falls through the world.
                  View.WorldProperties.ZoneInfo.KillZ

For forcing death on players that fall off or out of the play area, insert a PhysicsVolume and set the properties appropriately for bDestructive, bPainCausing and DamagePerSec. The PhysicsVolume also allows you to modify other properties within that volume.
                  Optionally the UTKillZVolume can be used instead of the PhysicsVolume, the only difference between them is the UTKZV adds a property for the KillZDamageType.

Comment

Thanks Guys... got everything figured out now. getting very close ^_^

Comment

Working...
                    X