making transparent material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    You also wanna attach something in the distort channel if you're going for a glass type look. If you want a normal distortion (like regular plain glass) attach a constant and if you want a funky kind of distortion (like the glass that has some shapes on it or is disfigured in some way) then attach a map. I don't exactly know how the map thing works but something plugged into distortion is needed if you want a realistic glass look. Otherwise you'll get a really plain transparent look which wouldn't give you what you want.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Instead of attaching a "map" to the opacity... attach a constant. I think you want it to be values between 0.0 and 1.0

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Your lighting model is the issue (in the properties where it says Phong ... with some other stuff ... sorry the editor isn't open on my rig). You need to change it to unlit to see the effects of anything plugged into the opacity channel (maps or constant/parameter values). This, however, means that your model with that particular material will not get lit. You'd have to do some custom lighting but I don't know how that works so I'd recommend checking a material in the game that has an opacity channel.
    Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic making transparent material

making transparent material

I've been playing around with the material editor for awhile now but can't figure out how to make transparent materials like glass or see-thru objects. I've tried plugging maps in the "opacity" channel and tried 32bit targa files with an alpha channel but don't know how to use it properly. any ideas? thanks

heffer
Working...
X