Hollowing out shape.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    may I suggest that instead of subtracting a brush from a brush you use simple geometrics (eg rectangle blocks) and just build it? Subtractions will inevitably mess up some time you rebuild it'll bridge a gap or delete a texture, sigh,

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ya I would avoid stacking a ton of brushes on top of each other. Before you know it you will have a big mess on your hands. (Trust me I know...) I would use the geometry modes to edit the single brush if you are not going to model these outside of the editor.

Then I would suggest if you have a complicated brush and you are happy with it. Convert it to a static mesh and it will usually work out better in the map. (Right click on brush and click convert to static mesh) I have done this with a lot of success but really have not heard direction one way or the other if you are "supposed to" do that. If anyone has some more insight on that it may help.

I know there are a lot of different ways to do things but I try to use the methods that the experts use and what I see in the pro maps as much as I can. You want to deliver quality.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I know exactly where that is at. Thank you very much for your help.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hehe, np. It's in one of the "Building a basic map" videos, one of the first 3 vids that has you start building the BSP. On one section of the ceiling, they Extrude a portion of it to make a big indent there, the guy does it backwards at first (swapped the values for X and Y), they laugh about it, then he fixes it and they move on. It's really not all that far into the video, its right after they build the majority of the wall and floor BSP for the first room.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The subtraction works just fine. Thank you very much. I have the CE and I have watched them all I just must have missed that part. Thank you anyway.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There's also a way to Extrude in Geometry mode by selecting a poly and extruding it... Haven't had to try it, but it shows this in one of the Sample Level vids from the CE, I will look at it later if you don't figure it out and I will come back and post it here... If I recall it's really easy and will keep you from having to use a billion little subtractive brushes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Me|eE View Post
    Say I want to hollow this out. How would I do that please? I want it to be a coliseum. I tried to delete one side but to no success. Thank You.
    [shot]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/yellafella76/UT3IMPACT/col.jpg[/shot]

You could take the sizie of the brush (The red builder brush) down in size and subtract it out a level at a time, making the brush smaller in size as you go. Just a suggestion........

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Hollowing out shape.

Hollowing out shape.

Say I want to hollow this out. How would I do that please? I want it to be a coliseum. I tried to delete one side but to no success. Thank You.
    [shot]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t12/yellafella76/UT3IMPACT/col.jpg[/shot]
Working...
X