Door/Mover Strange Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door/Mover Strange Issue

I am having an issue with my doors. They work just fine 99% of the time. However if there is a mess of people/bots all fighting and hanging out by the door. When one dies or the door closes for some reason they players body looks to get stuck when the door pops up. Do they are actualyl now standing on the endge of the door as it tried to close on them. Now the door stops halfway and that ends up being its "New" closed position. So if you go back to that door then it is closed at that halfway mark and then when it opens it opens too far. Almost like it shifted the whole door and animation 64 or so units. What would be the best way to correct this?

These are standard doors that pop up out of the floor. I have a 256 cube trigger volume to activate them when anything gets close. I am pretty sure the door thinks it is closed in the new position as I hear the closed sound play but the door is only halfway there.

Thanks!

its some setting like stop_when_enroach or so. Play with matinee settings, you may also make door open as long as anybody is near. Use trigger volume like you did but do not close door, instead make animation just for opening, then connect "everything untouched" from trigger to "reverse" in matinee.

Comment

That is a good idea. It seems to get confused when there is more then one person in the trigger volume. I will snoop around and see if I can find that setting. Thanks

Comment

The door getting reset to its half-open position could be a result of the mover group in the matinee being set to 'World Frame' rather than 'Relative to Initial'/ I'd suggest testing that change, as well as the other changes listed above.

As for making sure the trigger sets things to open only when there are people and to close only when there aren't any, you could hook the touch to a positive (+1) int counter and send A>B to the matinee play, and then add a negative int counter (-1) to the untouch and have A=B connect to the reverse of the matinee. That way, whenever someone enters the trigger radius, the counter will count up the A value, cueing the door to open, and when people leave it will count back down until 0 when it will send the command to close the door. Be sure to create an int variable = 0 for the A value and connect both 'A' slots from the counters to it. B in both counters by default should be 0.

I'm actually putting together some tutorials with specific examples for cases exactly like this but they're not ready yet. Hopefully this will help out in the meantime.

Good luck!

-AV

Comment

on a second note, epic have confermed a bug in the door trigger system, it is imposible to use a door in Ue3 at this stage, hence why the doors were removed from corret, as one of the level editors said... it was a sad day...

this is not the error you are getting but you will find that on accations the door will close and not reopen when entering the trigger volume the same time it closes.. this happens somtimes..

very sad. theres a bug with the trigger. so no door support.

Comment

OK I did some testing this weekend and it seems the door issue just appears on the server side machine. Any clients attached see the door behave correctly.

To replicate this I started a multiplayer and stood directly in the doors path and had another player run through the door area. The door stayed open when they entered but then closed when they left the trigger volume, even though I was still standing in it. This caused the door to half close and messing up the door on whatever computer was hosting. This looks to set the doors “new position” about -64 units in Z off from where I set them in the editor. (These doors fall down into the floor to open.)

Now on the client machine the door would stop OR close all the way with the player stuck. Once they popped out or moved out and back into the trigger volume the door would reset to the proper position.

I tried setting bProcessAllPlayers on the trigger volume to see if that would fix it did not fix it. It seems it is just processing the ENTER and LEAVE event and not tracking what is actually IN THE VOLUME.

Any thoughts? I may need to set up the math for it but it seems like more work then should be needed for a simple door.

Thanks for all the help!
            Gorebringer

Comment

Another issue with the doors I have run across is on my wifes machine the doors are black. Is this because her machine only supports shader 2 and not 3? Is there a good way to fix this? Even on my machine with the settings low the doors appear fine.

Thanks again!
              Gorebringer

Comment

OK a few more questions as I would really like to figure out a way to get these to work right.

I think I will try setting up the counter. However, one concern I have is if a pawn dies in the trigger volume will it still consider that it left? Hence count down by one? If not then the doors are going to get stuck open. I guess I could add some kind of delay in Kismet that if the volume was not triggered in X seconds, rest the player counter to 0. All this for a silly door...

The other idea is, is it possible to set up the trigger to be when a pawn touches the door itself and not a volume? I seem to remember setting that up in older UTs but I am not in front of the editor now to see if that is even an option.

Thanks for all the input!

Comment

Originally posted by Gorebringer View Post
                  Another issue with the doors I have run across is on my wifes machine the doors are black. Is this because her machine only supports shader 2 and not 3? Is there a good way to fix this? Even on my machine with the settings low the doors appear fine.

Thanks again!
                  Gorebringer
                  I'm pretty sure it has to do with the material assigned to the door. You might want to check if it has a shader 2.0 "fallback material", which is assigned in addition to the standard material. I'd look through the editor to find the specific process to assign fallback materials, but I don't have access to it right now. My guess is it would be in the object properties or surface properties. The fallback material should be in the same directory as the original, so "sync material in browser" should work.

I'm very new to the editor, but I've watched the material tutorial videos which mention fallback materials and their intended use for machines that use shader 2.0

Comment

Thanks I will look into that. I know the fallback material can be found in the material editor in the material properties area. I am using a standard door that ships with UT so I would think it should already have one. Though if it doesn't it should be too hard to replicate a similar material I can use as a fallback.

Comment

Working...
                    X