Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exporting a model with quads and/or n gons to ASE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exporting a model with quads and/or n gons to ASE.

Hi,
    I'm building a BSP surface in Maya for someone's map. There are a lot of quads and ngons in it but the actorX exporter triangulates the mesh while exporting. Is there a way to export ase out of maya while keeping my quads and ngons?
    Alternatively I can also use a t3d, asc, or dxf format for importing brushes but couldn't find any plugins or scripts to do that.
    Can anyone help me with this problem?

P.S. The only reason I don't want Tris in there is because it would become really hectic trying to texture that brush.

I thought BSPs were only created with the editor...

Any polygons larger than a quad needs to be avoided because (like you mentioned) the model is triangulated. This is because it would otherwise slow down the game's performance. Your UVW mapper shouldn't have a problem with multi polys (cause that's what the mapper does.) If you are unwrapping the UVWs then it can be a real headache, but it's the same headache all modelers deal with.

Comment

Eh,
      Well BSPs can also be imported in form of meshes, and UVW mapping has nothing to do in this case as the texturing is done inside the editor and a default planar mapping works fine on it. In the editor if you make a BSP cylinder its caps are nGons and that doesn't slow down performance. That's what I was going for,
      Anywho, the guy I was making the brush for got an older brush working, but I'd still like to know how exporting quads or nGons can be achieved.

Comment

It can't. Even with bsp, it may not look like the top of a BSP cylinder is being divided, but it is.

Comment

Of course it gets divided once built, but the BSP brush will still stay as one big nGon. I won't have to select those individual faces that come into existence after building the brush, all I'd have to select is the top, that's what I'm going for, I don't care how many tris it makes after building the brush coz that's something I'm not really able to manipulate in the editor am I?

Comment

Why would you want to make it a BSP shape anyway? It's way slower to render than a static mesh.

(edit: took the first part away because I really don't know)

Comment

Oh, because for a static mesh I'd have to texture it inside the 3d package which means I wouldn't have access to all the UT3 textures. Texturing inside the editor won't be as difficult and the brush can be later turned into a static mesh with the textures applied inside the editor.
              Now can someone PLEASE tell me a way to export it in ....... (see my first post please ).

P.S. I think there was a function in old versions of ActorX which was supposed to export meshes from 3d packages to be imported as BSP. It was considered obsolete some versions ago and was taken out of ActorX.

Comment

Working...
              X