Map that changes with # of players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Map that changes with # of players

I'm not sure how to approach this -> I'd like to start making DM/ TDM (who knows even warefare) maps that open up more areas and playerstarts and paths as more people join the level. (I don't think that reducing map space when people leave would work though.)

Would this need a mod or is a varaible for the number of players in the map available for scripting? Once this was used it should be simple to make scripts that trigger playerstarts and blocking volumes when player number reaches a certain level. Has anyone tried this?

Probably doable in ksimet. You need to make trigger volume for whole level and count pawns inside. Maybe there is even variable you can just read.

Comment

You could do it with doors/lifts being unusable until you have x amount of players in a map. Sure it will still load the entire map regardless of the players you have, but I don't think you could feasibly do it any other way.

With the player spawns it would be the same, unusable unless x amount of players are there.

Just remember to account for odd situations. For example if a player is in one of the expanded areas and a player leaves [reducing the amount required by the area], you'll have to set the door to always be openable from the same side.

Comment

I'm thinking probably the way Perfect Dark did it on the 360. Yeah I know, it's a console game, and horrible to boot, but the level design you're going for was used extensively. Just build a level for the maximum number of people you plan on allowing, and use Kismet to block off, or even take away certain parts of the level.

I don't know enough about Kismet, but I've watched the tutorials. I imagine a bool node could be used to trigger geometry between being in the map or not. It might be able to show or hide geometry, whether it can turn on or off collision is another matter. If it can be done you could create even more complex level adjustments with different layers of geometry.

Comment

Folks but his problem is how to count players on map (or maybe in areas) not how to block areas.

Comment

Right...sorry.

Comment

I am not a modder and i'm going off to college later this year for programming but i can say this:
              What happens if someone is in an area and the number of people needed to be in this area is lost(eg: someone leaves and the number drops too much) what will happen to this person? Will the land stay open until they walk out? will it just kill them? will you not even think about that? That's all i have to say.

Comment

Engine.GameInfo (and thus UTGame) has NumPlayers, NumSpectators, and NumBots variables.

If you script the doors to only open to the bigger areas when there are enough players that should work. Just don't trap someone in the bigger area by not letting the doors open from the bigger areas to get to the smaller areas.

Comment

Originally posted by sandymac View Post
                  Engine.GameInfo (and thus UTGame) has NumPlayers, NumSpectators, and NumBots variables.

If you script the doors to only open to the bigger areas when there are enough players that should work. Just don't trap someone in the bigger area by not letting the doors open from the bigger areas to get to the smaller areas.
                  Thanks, I guess my question boils down to Can those variables be accessed in Kismet? We couldn't use them in 2K4 scripts IIRC.

BTW I think that it would be OK to simply ignore players leaving the map during play, however you can still deal with this if you want to by making a massive teleporter to move them out of the "to be closed" areas -> if there are multiple players in there however, it'll kill all but the last one it detects

Comment

I am interested in solution to this problem. I have idea for that multicube map that opens more teleport locations with more players. Well many others have that cube map idea also.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
                      I am interested in solution to this problem. I have idea for that multicube map that opens more teleport locations with more players. Well many others have that cube map idea also.
                      Indeed, they do!!!!!

R

Comment

Working...
                      X