Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fog Volume & Water Material Question (Interaction with each other)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fog Volume & Water Material Question (Interaction with each other)

The water material seems to be reflecting a LOT from the fog volume. I have looked all though the fog volume properties, the mesh properties, and the water's mesh properties and really haven't found a way to get rid of this excess reflection.

I went into the water material editor and........and got scared.

Does anyone have a clue how I can reduce this reflection?

[shot]http://www.itsflybye.com/public/images/games/UT3/Dawnv2/Dawn55.jpg[/shot]

No one?

BTW, I just realized...it is not a reflection off the water. But it is when I look at the water through the fog volume.

Comment

ive found this board isnt so helpful to ppl sometmies

Comment

Just to clarify are you using HeightFog or using a FogVolumeConstantDensityInfo with a staticmesh attached to it?

And can you post the setting from the properties window for the one you are using.

Comment

Well, I did mention Fog Volume in the thread's title.

There are a lot of settings. Any specific section you would like to see a screenie of?

Comment

Well you should change the AproxFogLightColour to a lower shade of grey this should tone down the Glare a bit as it passes through the fog And If possible Use a semi transparent WateMaterial to reduce the excessive glare from the water.

Image as example

Comment

LOL....when I was playing around with the fog lighting, I saw no change in the fog's colour. Not once did it occur to me that this light would be reflecting off the water.

I got it toned down now. Thanks!

Comment

Ok, here is a new issue.

[shot]http://www.itsflybye.com/public/images/games/UT3/Dawnv2/Dawn57.jpg[/shot]

During certain angles, the water seems to cut through the fog. Any idea how I could fix this? I'm afraid I don't even know where to start for that.

Comment

I would say experiment with different water materials to find one that works.

Or if you find one that doesn't give you problems but you don't like the look of it, use its expressions in the material editor on the one you like.

You can make a new material then copy and paste expressions from other materials into the material editor.

Comment

Update>:

TranslucencySetPriority If you set the value to -5 in your StaticMeshActor, Rendering options on the StaticMesh that holds your FogVolume it will be rendering at a lower priority than your waterplane so your water will be rendered at a higher priority than the FogVolume attached to the StaticMesh, there should be no further conflict. It worked perfectly for me on that flickering / perspective problem, but slight adjustments needs to be made if the fog is above or below the water.

It has to be translucent to work!

Comment

If you read latest Hourences tutorial about fog: Hourences fog tut.
                      He writes: "ApproxFogLightColor: This doesn't seem to do anything. " , well i found out that this is exactly what you looking for, it changes color to which fog+water etc blend into.

So play with "ApproxFogLightColor" on your for actor.

Comment

Originally posted by SLGDon View Post
                        ive found this board isnt so helpful to ppl sometmies
                        To be helpfull you need to have something to constructive say, and there are many questions that nobody knows answer.

Few of mine:
                        -how to play custom footstep sound, ie not one from already existing phys material.
                        - how to accurate count players in map, or area.
                        - it is possible to lock/unlock parts of map based on its ini file?
                        - how to make Fresnel work based on absolute world camera position?

Comment

Working...
                        X