Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

:( We need a shadow casting system similar!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:( We need a shadow casting system similar!!!!

We need a shadow cast system similar to the light cast system..

For example as it stands if you add a animated skeletal mesh to your map and set it to cast shadows and turn on the dynamiclightcomponent check box, the skeletal mesh will cast a low res real time shadow animated with the character based on the light thats effecting it. But the problem is that that shadow will flow through everything like xrays. So if you have the light pushing the shadow on the wall. if there are 50 walls behind him u will see his shadow all all 50 walls. with no way to block it
    My advice to make this easy is have a shadow channel option. So that you can set a bsp wall surface or static mesh and either add it to that channel or not. Its something that really should be fixed.

Either add shadow channels or fix the darn shadow casting through everything

I noticed this as well with one of my ealier maps. Lately i found something even more odd. A mesh set to rotating physics (no kismet) positioned verticly. With shadowcast enabled it will display not one but two shadows. One in the corect location and another 5 feet in front of it flat on the floor. The floor one would make you think the mesh was sitting horizontaly with a light above it. But it wasnt, it was actually sitting verticle with a light in front of it. Very odd.

But i agree, some kind of shadow cast system indpependent or more controlable is needed. The whole shadow casting thru multiple walls with no way to hide it is just wrong on so many levels.

Comment

not letting this one up, someone from epics gonna need to answer this one, is it a bug? or not. Whats there method of blocking this kind of shadow from peircing though the entire level

Comment

It is not a bug, it is a limitation of the technology. Epic's suggestion is to design around it, and make use of the shadow distance fading properties.

Comment

It gets annoying, especially when you have a base, with vehicles on the roof, and you see lovely vehicle shadows on the floor and ceiling

Maybe i should just not use lights

Comment

Working...
          X