No announcement yet.

How to: Convert a Skybox to a Skydome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will make them available as individual zipped .bmp or .tga files then, plus zipped .ase meshes as required.
    Newbie mappers will just have to learn how to construct things in the editor as I won't do both source and package formats at this time since there is probably 120 or more total assets.

Comment

That would be great.

Just having the raw images ready for construction in UT3 is certainly enough and well appreciated. Thx

Comment

Which ever is easier for you DG, this would be a great asset no matter which way you choose to go. But if i had to really pick one way or another i guess i would rather learn how to make them and have the source files availavble. Then i can concentrate on the actual design process thus eliminating one step anyway.

Comment

Preliminary UT3 Skies page is online soon.
          I'll have the current file download links working shortly (probably later tonight), and there is still another 100+ textures to go...

P.S. The tutorial by outpt actually has a few steps that can be changed or eliminated to speed up the process of cube-to-spherical conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
            Preliminary UT3 Skies page is online soon.
            I'll have the current file download links working shortly (probably later tonight), and there is still another 100+ textures to go...

P.S. The tutorial by outpt actually has a few steps that can be changed or eliminated to speed up the process of cube-to-spherical conversion.
            You've got a lot of knowledge and experience DG - let me know and I'll be very happy to amend or make changes. I've already noted from your page that you can create a material when importing, and will update shortly.

Skybox page looks great so far - I'll definitely spread the word once its all up.

Comment

The other things you may wish to mention in your tutorial:

1. Skip a step and create the Material during import according to the settings as seen on my Skies page. See the notes on that page also regarding this.

2. Using FDR/HDR in UnrealEd is for RGBE images (.float), not for RGB images, so compression should be standard DXT1. Unless you are wanting to convert, warp and save the image out of HDRShop as RGBE and import that into UnrealEd. Best is probably to leave it as RGB compressed as DXT1 as that uses less texture memory etc.

3. Certain cubic skyboxes don't clip well to the horizon and should be used in their entirety with a spherical mapped sky mesh instead of the stock Epic hemi-sphere meshes.

4. For best mapping with the stock Epic hemi-sphere meshes, the sky texture should actually be warped in PhotoShop/PhotoPaint with a mesh warp or cylindrical warp so that the upper half is stretched and the lower half is squeezed. This provides a better perspective correction. So you may notice that mapped cubic textures from UT2004 still look "too close" on the horizon compared to stock UT3 textures.

5. Instead of attempting to edit out the four curves of error pixels that appear in the final warped texture from HDRShop, simply open the cubic/cross texture into PhotoShop/PhotoPaint and duplicate the very edge pixel on each of the four quadrants over one pixel into the blank edge space. Save that then run it through the warp.
              The issue is that during the warp, rounding errors cause the pixel grabbed to include some pixels past the very edge of the cross, and then mix those into the final lat/long image. So if the blank area in the four quadrants is black, you will get a slight curve of black mixed into the lat/long texture along the warp path. Duplicating the edge pixels of the cross into the blank space in all four quadrants eliminates the error since the pixel grabbed is always relevant.

Feel free to link to my Skies page on my site in your tutorial if you like, so that others can download the content there.
              I should have more textures and meshes online soon.

Comment

Fantastic information and skydomes, should come in useful in the future! Keep up the good work !

Comment

I have around 100 more skies and sky objects coming...
                  I'll be constantly uploading them to the site over the next few weeks as I get them ready for use.

Comment

Awesome! 2 new sites bookmarked here. =)

Comment

Working...
                    X