Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to: Convert a Skybox to a Skydome

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How to: Convert a Skybox to a Skydome

    How to: Convert a Skybox to a Skydome

    I'm guessing I'm not the only one who was a little disappointed by the lack of skydome textures with UT3. Even worse, its more difficult to create a skydome texture, and free skydome textures aren't really readily available online.

    This tutorial will show you how to convert your standard skybox textures into a skydome texture. So now, anyone can pick up Terragen 2 and create great-looking skydomes for their UT3 maps.

    Clicky over here: http://www.outpt.co.uk/how-to-conver...-to-a-skydome/

    Special Thanks to Fenring for allowing me to update and expand his original Battlefield 2 tutorial for UnrealED.

    As always, hope this helps. Any feedback / suggestions welcome.


    #2
    Great, thx !

    Comment


      #3
      There's no need to link the imported texture to the Diffuse-header in the Material-editor. Emissive would be enough.

      Nice tutorial tho!

      Comment


        #4
        Nice tutorial!
        Making skyboxes takes 3 times more time as it took with UT2004 :S

        Comment


          #5
          FYI: I will have all of the UT2004 Hipshot skyboxes I used in my maps converted shortly in case anyone was wanting to use them in UT3.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by MelvinB View Post
            There's no need to link the imported texture to the Diffuse-header in the Material-editor. Emissive would be enough.

            Nice tutorial tho!
            Thanks, will update shortly... (I just copied the official materials )

            Originally posted by DGUnreal
            FYI: I will have all of the UT2004 Hipshot skyboxes I used in my maps converted shortly in case anyone was wanting to use them in UT3.
            Excellent, would love to see people releasing skydome textures - there's a shortage out there (believe me, I've searched...).

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by outpt.co.uk View Post
              How to: Convert a Skybox to a Skydome

              I'm guessing I'm not the only one who was a little disappointed by the lack of skydome textures with UT3. Even worse, its more difficult to create a skydome texture, and free skydome textures aren't really readily available online.

              This tutorial will show you how to convert your standard skybox textures into a skydome texture. So now, anyone can pick up Terragen 2 and create great-looking skydomes for their UT3 maps.

              Clicky over here: http://outpt.co.uk/tut012.php

              Special Thanks to Fenring for allowing me to update and expand his original Battlefield 2 tutorial for UnrealED.

              As always, hope this helps. Any feedback / suggestions welcome.

              thank you very much, awseome action

              Comment


                #8
                I could not find the "UN_Sky" package used in this tutorial. Am I missing an update or something?

                Comment


                  #9
                  I could not find the "UN_Sky" package used in this tutorial. Am I missing an update or something?
                  Apologies - this package was already loaded when I opened my map, so I assumed it was there as default.

                  You will need to open the package from your generic browser by clicking 'File > Open'. It's located in X:\XXXX\UT3\UTGame\CookedPC\Environments (Where 'X' is your game directory).

                  Thanks a lot for pointing this out - I've updated the page.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by outpt.co.uk View Post
                    Excellent, would love to see people releasing skydome textures - there's a shortage out there (believe me, I've searched...).
                    The package I have been working on includes probably 75+ skies in it with proper skydome meshes (2k and some 4k textures), sky objects and mesh sheets (cloud panners, moons, etc.), interstellar anomalies and mesh sheets (nebulae), various sphere meshes for real planet maps, plus LensFlares, etc., all very high quality.

                    I was planning on just using these assets in my own maps, but I can release it as a proper full package for community use.

                    Would everyone prefer this large package be something that is linked to for download for use with their custom maps, as opposed to having to uncook and duplicate various assets from it into their own map file? This would reduce any duplication of the large textures among mappers.
                    My regular server, my high-speed mirror, and a few other official mirrors could be set up so that people can download this package for use with their community maps.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by outpt.co.uk View Post
                      Apologies - this package was already loaded when I opened my map, so I assumed it was there as default.

                      You will need to open the package from your generic browser by clicking 'File > Open'. It's located in X:\XXXX\UT3\UTGame\CookedPC\Environments (Where 'X' is your game directory).

                      Thanks a lot for pointing this out - I've updated the page.
                      Thank you. I will be posting some awesome skys I found online soon.

                      Also, if anyone can get them because i dont know how to take them from one editor to the other, there are some pretty sweet ones from Gears of War

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
                        Would everyone prefer this large package be something that is linked to for download for use with their custom maps, as opposed to having to uncook and duplicate various assets from it into their own map file? This would reduce any duplication of the large textures among mappers.
                        My regular server, my high-speed mirror, and a few other official mirrors could be set up so that people can download this package for use with their community maps.
                        I'd prefer it! I'm about as new as somebody can get to the world of modding, let alone modding in UT3. I don't even know how to create a skybox/skydome yet, but I can see the value in having these assets set aside.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I'd be for any solution that didn't restrict the use of these textures to UT3, or those with knowledge of the Unreal Editor.

                          For me, a pack of panoramic textures in something like .png format would be great; or even the ability to download individual textures from a webpage. I don't want to have to download a large pack of 75 textures when I'd probably only want to pick a single texture per map.

                          Personally, I like Hazel.H's setup.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by warriorlax5506 View Post
                            I will be posting some awesome skys I found online soon.
                            I hope that we are not duplicating any efforts, and that the skies you "found" are in fact free from copyright issues.

                            Originally posted by outpt.co.uk View Post
                            I'd be for any solution that didn't restrict the use of these textures to UT3, or those with knowledge of the Unreal Editor.

                            For me, a pack of panoramic textures in something like .png format would be great; or even the ability to download individual textures from a webpage. I don't want to have to download a large pack of 75 textures when I'd probably only want to pick a single texture per map.
                            The issues here are that newbies won't know how to import the texture and mesh files, create the material, etc., which means I would have to write a lengthy fool-proof tutorial page also which takes more time, and some of the textures or portions thereof are sourced from other Epic content so they cannot be used in other non-"Unreal Universe" games.
                            The source files even in compressed format such as PNG are going to be probably close to 3/4 of a GB. Hosting and bandwidth may become an issue if they are available in source-only or both formats.
                            So any additional comments on this are appreciated before I go too far...

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Well, FilePlanet allows files up to 1gb

                              I'd love simply the raw images. But they are only allowed in the Unreal Universe, then I could always settle for a map or package format.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X