Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Import .dds textures into UT3 Editor Packs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import .dds textures into UT3 Editor Packs?

I want to import some standard UT 2004 textures to the UT3 Editor and to then create materials, but even though some of these are standard Epic textures, I can't get them into the UT3 Editor!

When I go to Export the textures out of UT 2004, my only option is to save them as .dds files which the UT3 Editor won't read.

Any suggestions?

I've also had the UT3 Editor crash several times on select .pcx textures, some of which are exactly the same as an accepted texture but with a different color.

the .dds files will not import to UT3 only; Tga, bmp, pcx, psa files will.
    you will need the .dds plugin for photoshop if that is what you use.

Comment

Gah. I don't own any photoeditor programs, oh well.

Comment

Get one of the free paint programs like Gimp or Paint.NET.

Comment

I downloaded an updated version of Irfanview and installed the plugins, but it still wouldn't open .dds files for me.

Comment

GIMP is very good and open source. You'll have to get the dds plugin (just google "gimp dds plugin"). Like photoshop, GIMP is somewhat hard to learn but its free and gets the job done for me.
            The latest release of GIMP is a major uplift. It seems to have a minor problem with the dds plugin but has been no touble with the UT2004 dds textures I have edited.

Comment

Haven't tried Gimp yet. I also tried Paint.net which has a DDS plugin--same problem as Irfanview. Says my.dds files are bad but I just exported them out of UT 2004.

Comment

Just found this free program and it works perfectly and easily without finding and putting in plugins.

http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk...ams/dxtbmp.htm

Comment

Zoo, thank you so much! That simple program works where Paint.Net and Irfanview have failed (and I didn't want to mess around with The Gimp). It easily converted a test .dds into a .bmp (after adjusting some savings settings).

Comment

It also saves as .tga

I exported a texture out of the UT2004 editor opened it with DXTBmp, saved it as a .tga then imported it into the UT3 editor.

Nice and simple with no messing about.

Comment

UT2004's .dds format isn't supported by all software, even Max9 won't open them without a conversion or re-compress to dxt.
                      I gave it a shot that the other paint software would work.
                      Someone should email Gimp and Paint.NET and ask them to support UT's format.

Comment

Working...
                      X