Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why's UT3 Editor suddenly building my lightmaps TWICE???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why's UT3 Editor suddenly building my lightmaps TWICE???

Yeah, it's weird. Today, during my last build, I was watching something as the computer finished encoding the last of the lightmaps, then looked back just in time to see the thing finish up, THEN GO BACK to "Build Static Lighting..."

Now, if it took LESS than 45 minutes to build it, I could give a rat's hind quarters, but having to wait an EXTRA 45 minutes is friggin' dumb.

Did I turn on something I didn't know about or what?

45 min?!?!?
    How big is your level (in MBs after cooking)? I thought my 5 min build time was insane?

Comment

lol, it's not that big maybe 16MB right now, just have other things running (all my anti-virus/spyware/windows scans n updates are set to run around this time...) and it's really slowing me down right now... It's also that I went crazy and decided to do a really high quality lightmap on a pretty big terrain for kicks... (1024x1024 terrain and a lightmap res of 32 eep!!!) Just was curious to see the result and how long it would take. Of course all the multi-tasking has kinda screwed me up, and with this thing RE-building, that's just silliness...

Not to mention, I let my crappier comp do all the builds for me while I play on the good 'puter.

Comment

I have the same problem when I rebuild a map with a lightmap of 4, it seem the editor make 2 or 3 steps to generate the static lighting textures.
        For me, a full rebuild took generally 3 to 45 mins according to the lightmap setting...
        (My PC : Amd 64 3500 +, 2 Go Ram, Ati X800 xl)

Comment

If you watch it closely on large maps you often see it build lighting, compress those lightmaps, build more lighting, compress those, ...
          And a 1024x1024 terrain is going to cause some issues with this build.

Comment

Thats extremely odd.
            Right now I've got a level that has a 2048x2048 patch terrain in it, spanning the entire level. It's got some basic outdoor lighting, and being the max allowed size for a level while still having some architecture in it, it still rebuilds in under a minute.
            Have you tried copying the entire content of the level and pasting it into a fresh level? Worked for me back in 04 when I used to have crashes on rebuilding.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
              If you watch it closely on large maps you often see it build lighting, compress those lightmaps, build more lighting, compress those, ...
              And a 1024x1024 terrain is going to cause some issues with this build.
              Well, like I said, it was just for my own curiosity.

I closed the editor, then re-opened it and it did the build in one quick sweep, so I dunno why it was doing it twice before.

Comment

Originally posted by SafeFire View Post
                Thats extremely odd.
                Right now I've got a level that has a 2048x2048 patch terrain in it, spanning the entire level. It's got some basic outdoor lighting, and being the max allowed size for a level while still having some architecture in it, it still rebuilds in under a minute.
                Have you tried copying the entire content of the level and pasting it into a fresh level? Worked for me back in 04 when I used to have crashes on rebuilding.
                If you have a 2048 terrain with actual lighting and architecture and you are actually doing a full Build All with proper lightmaps in under a minute, then you have a super-computer from the future. Engine licensees with top-end quad and octal core systems are not getting under a minute builds on proper full maps.

Comment

Well I am on a Q6600 b3, 4096mb of ram, with an 8800gts heh

Nah, I've got a skylight to light up things dimly, and some basic lights that cast shadows (had to use multiple spotlights, when I jerked the radius way to fit the whole map the editor crashed). In the middle there is a small bunker where the player starts, thats about the only detailed architecture in there. This would probably explain the short rebuild time.
                  Yeah, it's an odd map, but it fits the mod it's being made for

"under a minute", or so to say, around a minute. It doesn't take me 45 though

Comment

Add a DirectionalLight to simulate the sun, plenty of lightmapped CSG Brushes and StaticMeshes, and your build time will increase substantially.

Comment

Working...
                    X