Directional lighting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Directional lighting problem

I currently building a map which includes an open missile silo with sunlight shining through, i used a directional light for this, because this would create nice reflections on the textures i applied

The only problem is that this lighting hits every other part of my map to, which i don't want since it's suppose to be underground.
    I want to restrict the lighting to one 'zone' in my map only, i messed around with several things that could potentionally do this but with no luck.

i tryed several options in the directional light' settings, in and exclusion volumes, and light environment, i can't get them to work.

First of all, i don't know how i can specify /in/exclusion volumes since it only accepts things from the generic browser
    And lighting environment doesn't even work for me, i can't even add a new item to the list.
    I found a volume called LightVolume, but it doesn't do anything on it's own

Is there anyway i can get the sunlight blocked in certain area's of my map(or directional light replaced with the same effect)

Try a spotlight with a massive radius. Its directional and you can control the size of the cone.

Comment

Using LightVolumes would be one way to do this. Set the light to use volumes, place the volumes and assign them to the light in the appropriate property.

You can assign actors from the map to properties by locking the properties window to the current actor. There is a button in the top left of the properties window that will do this. Then, you can select an actor in the map and assign it to the property as the properties window will still show the properties from the original actor.

You could also set the light and all the actors that will be lit by it to use a custom Lighting Channel. That will cause the light to only affect the other objects using the same lighting channel.

Comment

i tried that, i get leakage that way, shadows leak through the walls
        also the cone only lits where the lines of the cones meet the bsp/static meshes
        it's not what i am looking for

This is how it looks with directional lighting applied to the whole level, this is how i would like to have it:

This is a screenshot with the spotlight with a large radius,the effect may be similar, but a large portion of the rocket is not lit, well it looks like it
        The spotlight is messed up, if i move far beneath the rocket, the entire rocket gets lit, if i start moving to above, sections start to become black one by one
        Also the shadows being cast are messed up, they move with the camera
        screenshots of this below

Comment

As ffej said, I would use a custom lighting channel.
          Place a Directional light, set it to one of the custom channels, set the desired meshes to that channel as well as Dynamic, unchecking their regular Static channel.

Comment

turned off the shadow casting and it worked
            i get the same sort of effect, but i still rathe have the directional light
            Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
            Using LightVolumes would be one way to do this. Set the light to use volumes, place the volumes and assign them to the light in the appropriate property.

You can assign actors from the map to properties by locking the properties window to the current actor. There is a button in the top left of the properties window that will do this. Then, you can select an actor in the map and assign it to the property as the properties window will still show the properties from the original actor.

You could also set the light and all the actors that will be lit by it to use a custom Lighting Channel. That will cause the light to only affect the other objects using the same lighting channel.
            Locking the property widnow worked, i managed to assign the light to the lightvolume
            It works, kind off, the rest of my map, is still partially lit by the directional lighting
            for example, I got a wall, the left side is normal indoor lighting, the rightside is lit by the directionallight
            What did i do wrong?

I knew about the custom lighting channels, but how do you create one for certain meshes/brushes/etc?

Comment

You don't create the custom channel. There are custom channels provided in the LightingChannels already. All you have to do is check the box for one of the custom channels on all the actors and lights you want to be on the same channel and uncheck the box on the lights for the Static, Dynamic, CompositeDynamic, BSP, etc. so they won't affect anything but the custom channel.

Comment

Got it, thank you very much, it looks great now
                i am fairly new to building a custom map,I'm trying hard to make this a nice looking map
                with this new knowledge i bet i can come pretty far

Off to the next challenge, creating projection like effects on walls, caused by a hologlobe, projection only need to show an vague increase in lightintensity (caused by the "refresh beams" on such a globe
                but that's something for another topic

Comment

Working...
                X