No announcement yet.

hey everyone, stupid noob *resources* question about materials and staticmeshes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey everyone, stupid noob *resources* question about materials and staticmeshes

well, i got materials, static meshes and all other stuff under the Eniviroment folder, all sorted by various packages. okay, but as i see, theres really small amount of a materials... i remember when i once see how my friend makes a map in valve hammer, there was a thousands of textures for half-life 2 ... and there is well... maybee 25-30... and most of it looks out of place...

or i should use material editor for them, as in Hourences' Tutorial? But by the way, theres still lack of things you can use. Is there any folders with resources, or this is just stuf, using for basic training, and to use something else you must make custom stuff or dig into Epic's maps?

if the second mention is right, why then no one have take out all of resources and just upload them to the internet, on some torrent site (if the size of all this stuff will be big)...

well, and what diffrence between textures and materials?

in the valve's hammer this were like textures are classic textures to cover base geometry. but in UEd, textures seems to be using only for static meshes and not usable to cover base level geomtery, instead you use this materials (wich looks like simple textures, but have ability of tweaking)... but why then there is so little choice of most standart materials - walls, floors, terrain, etc.

can anybody give me some link for the custom/official resources for the UEd UT3 page ??

sorry that i'm so lame, i've started with this stuff only yesterday (and sorry for bad english)

Ehh, No.
    All that is present inside the UT3 levels can be found in the Cooked PC folder, Environments folder inside the cooked pc folder has perhaps the most stuff. Each package may have only 25-30 textures but there are a lot of packages as well. You can get a sort of visual list of all the static meshes here
    http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showt...=1#post2410301
    As you can see there are hundreds of just THOSE.
    Anyhow, To answer your second question, texture is just the image file, materials are what are applied to BOTH static meshes and BSP (and skeletal or any other kinds of meshes). Textures are in there only because they make the materials tick. So why use materials? They give you extra control. The very basic material that would do what textures do in HL2 would be a texture node plugged into the diffuse channel (which doesn't make a very interesting setup).
    Anyhow, just open your generic browser, select materials and/or textures from the scroll down menu under "Show all Resources" and then one by one start opening and viewing the packages found in the environments folder. The packages that can already seen loaded when you open the editor aren't Fully Loaded and thus lack content. To retrieve that content just right click on the desired package and press Fully Loaded.
    Anyhow (a second time ), all the stuff is IN THERE. THERE IS NO OFFICIAL RELEASE OR TORRENT FILE FOR ALL THE RESOURCES USED IN THE GAME BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL IN THE PACKAGES FOUND IN THE COOKED PC FOLDER...!
    Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks for the UT3 Mesh images! It will help me decide on what to use to stick to a common level theme instead of hunting and pecking.

Comment

hey, Jerry, right? are you that guy who maked halo sphere for Bret? and now working along with green day? hey, thanks for the help and the list of meshes. i've said about other resources just because of sticky thread above all threads. it tells something about epic content and finding ways to rip it off... i think that this is because i am russian and dont completely understand meanings of some phrases in english... sorry for this... btw, Jerry, what kind of map should i do first, to show it there?

Comment

Don't know about the map mate. I'm still working on my first map and it's still pretty bad in my opinion .

Comment

lol))) thanks btw! nice to see Bret released beta of timberland

Comment

Working...
            X