Strange problem with surfaces.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange problem with surfaces.

I have a strange problem. When I add walls, or any other brush, parts of the brushes next to it, disappear. I can't think of any reason for this, hopefuly any of you here knows.

Before:
    http://harteex.kicks-***.net/~emil/ut3/1.JPG

After a brush has been added:
    http://harteex.kicks-***.net/~emil/ut3/2.JPG

Interesting. At a glance from the jpegs, it almost looks like a graphical error. Have you tried playing the map afterwards to see if the walls really have "disappeared?"

Comment

I can't play the map since I can't finish it. But UT3 works fantastic for me when i play it normally. I have tried a clean BSP, tried to rebuild the whole thing. Tried to remove a couple of parts and make them again from scratch, same problem. The strange thing is that there is no problem when i build the other side, which looks exactly the same.

Comment

I'm not shure of what I see, but it seems your brush has it's vertices who is crossing on your screenshot.
        Try to recreate your brush with take care to not cross your faces/vertices.

Comment

Your map doesn't need to be finished to test out. All you need is a space to run around in and a spawn point.

And from what Sebastien is saying, I agree. It looks like when you're subtracting out your BSP, you're placing brushes over the tops of eachother. This is cutting your ground textures into odd triangular sections.

Are you using the snap grid?

Still, I'm not sure if that would cause the error you're having. Try testing out your map when the error occurs, let us know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
            I'm not shure of what I see, but it seems your brush has it's vertices who is crossing on your screenshot.
            Try to recreate your brush with take care to not cross your faces/vertices.
            yes....a brush is probably crossing the other one, try to make them fit perfectly

Comment

Originally posted by Draggeo View Post
              Your map doesn't need to be finished to test out. All you need is a space to run around in and a spawn point.

And from what Sebastien is saying, I agree. It looks like when you're subtracting out your BSP, you're placing brushes over the tops of eachother. This is cutting your ground textures into odd triangular sections.

Are you using the snap grid?

Still, I'm not sure if that would cause the error you're having. Try testing out your map when the error occurs, let us know what happens.
              You don't even really need a player start to run through the level. You can just right click on the floor and spectate from their.

I'm not sure what is wrong Zackiz, Are you using the grid so your BSPs do not overlap?

Comment

Well, not sure what was wrong, but problem solved now. I double-checked though, i wasn't crossing any lines. The solution was just to delete a couple of added brushes and rebuild them again.

Thanks for your help though guys, I really appreciate it!

Comment

Congratulations you caught your first BSP hole monster!

To remove mess it did, check your BSP construction. It gets too complicated at some spot for engine to handle it. Sometimes you may get clue where it starts by looking at BSP hole edges and where they lead/start.

usual causes:
                  - too many intersecting brushes at one tight spot (4-5 in area of 16 units size)
                  - some brushes not aligned to grid
                  - this is your first map and yet you went for 16 units grid, min is 32, 16 should be used only for that last touch
                  - do not build whole geometry from BSP, use at least use semi solids. but stairs and trims should be always replaced by static meshes, there is no excuse for this anymore.

Comment

Nawrot: thanks for the nice map in your signature

Comment

Thanks for having this problem before me...

Comment

Working...
                      X