Some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some questions

1) How can I add fog to a room? Is there some kind of volume which would allow me to do it? Or must I use tons of (steam) emitters. The densitiy should be decrease as the distance to the floor increases. Kinda like morning mist.

2) I cannot change the position or size of textures(with the F5 menu), which I have added to my static meshes. Do I need to set it all up in 3dsMax? I added an UV map, tweaked it a bit with the checker texture, but it seems hard to do since I haven't found a way to export the materials/textures from UT. So I cannot say how it really looks in-game. Can you use the F5 menu to change textures on static meshes?

3) How would I create a sky in a subtractive map? Is there still a way to change the ceiling to backdrop like in 2k4?

Originally posted by Gorge View Post
    1) How can I add fog to a room? Is there some kind of volume which would allow me to do it? Or must I use tons of (steam) emitters. The densitiy should be decrease as the distance to the floor increases. Kinda like morning mist.
    I wanna know how to do this too, I have no idea except to add a massive amount of sprite emitters. Which looks good, but really makes a bad slow-down point. Though Editing LOD's can make that a little easier on resources.

2) I cannot change the position or size of textures(with the F5 menu), which I have added to my static meshes. Do I need to set it all up in 3dsMax? I added an UV map, tweaked it a bit with the checker texture, but it seems hard to do since I haven't found a way to export the materials/textures from UT. So I cannot say how it really looks in-game. Can you use the F5 menu to change textures on static meshes?
    Also, no idea other than re-mapping.

3) How would I create a sky in a subtractive map? Is there still a way to change the ceiling to backdrop like in 2k4?
    I would just make one massive BSP brush (or connecting bsps to the sides), remove all textures from it (via the RemoveAllMaterials, material), then put the skydome in there, and scale it to your needs. Really don't think there's another way to do that in subtractive.

Comment

The F5 button is used for BSP only. It doesn't affect static meshes.

Comment

Height fog and distance fog actors. You can always fake it with material, but then you cannot go inside room (to other side of material). To make dense height fog that does not have visible seam: use 2 or 3 actors like that with different density. Your case should be mix of height for with some very fine touch of distance fog and some glow.

For more industrial and dense in single room fog: you could do is combination of "Fog" material and post process volume. Fake fog in room when outside with material. then inside use Post Process volume with more glow and Distance of Focus , then make colors less saturated and darker/brighter.

No you do not need set it in MAX if you have your mesh skinned (UV coordinates that are sensible). Just make your material with Variable vector for UV coordinates, then Instance it and change that coordinates. Read Hourences tutorial to see how instanced materials are done, he uses example of different color but you can make UV coord also or whatever you like. But to align textures on all meshes you need to make new instanced material for every single of them , that means a lot of resources and slowdowns.

There is no way to turn old skyzone and backdrop. You could use camera actor (again Hourences has some tutorials about it) but that may be major slowdown. I say try it and if it does not have big FPS impact leave it, but else convert your level to additive.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the answers. I will look into those tutorials.

Comment

Working...
          X