How do i add water to my level?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i add water to my level?

Im stuck on this little issue here, i have an area where i would like to create a decent sized body of water that players would be able to swim in. I have the CE and the tutorials but havent seen anything on creating water.

I may have missed it during the many times ive been interupted while watching them. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of the tutorial that covers this on the disk or if there isnt one then perhaps a tutorial that is online for me to look at.

I have tried looking over the tutorials on disk but had no success, I also tried searching for the answer first on here and then on google but didnt find my answer (im probably just not typing the right thing in the search).

Any help would be appreciated.

Check out hourences' tutorial..
    http://www.hourences.com/book/tutori...tervolumes.htm

Comment

Thank you ever so much!

Comment

Originally posted by ValKor01 View Post
        Thank you ever so much!
        Thank hourences.. lmao

Comment

You do not need to recreate your own water material, there are plenty in Epics maps. Open one of them and see where water mesh and material are stored. Then fully load that packages and use them in your map. Those are in UN_something family.

Comment

I think you simply need to add water volume with a plane mesh as it's surface (which is what you apply the water material to).

Comment

this is the wrong area for this post (just stating )

btw 200th post (the real reason i talked)

Comment

I could use some advice for adding water (not the volume, but the surface) to very large areas. Is there a reason for using a static mesh instead of a BSP sheet? The main problem is that because my water covers a huge area, nearly all of the UN-Liquid textures are stretched much too big to look good. The only one that looks right scaled up is the SoftRiver material, but that one's completely opaque and doesn't let you see anything below the surface.

What's the general solution for large bodies of water? Is a sheet acceptable, or should it be lots of TexPropPlanes tiled together or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
                  You do not need to recreate your own water material, there are plenty in Epics maps. Open one of them and see where water mesh and material are stored. Then fully load that packages and use them in your map. Those are in UN_something family.
                  Thank you for the reply, i only ment how to "add" water to my level, like the thread title says, I really shouldnt have used the words "create" within my post which has obviously led you to believe that i wanted to make my own water, sorry about that. I followed the tutorial from the link given to me by GrimmBigBadWolf and successfully got water into the level.

Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
                  I think you simply need to add water volume with a plane mesh as it's surface (which is what you apply the water material to).
                  Yeah while i was following the tutorial at hourences I wasnt sure what he ment by Plane but it was pretty simple once i followed it along and saw the plane mesh in the Generic Browser.

Originally posted by VerteX View Post
                  this is the wrong area for this post (just stating )

btw 200th post (the real reason i talked)
                  Well its under Level Editing, Modeling and Skinning section of the forums and i believe what i was asking about was to do with Level editing. I was under the impression the "Troubleshooting & Technology" section was mainly for issues with the game or editor with bugs or crashes etc if thats the section you believe i should have posted in.

It also seems a far better idea (to me and also to others ive seen ask questions about editing in this section) to ask for help on the subject of editing a level in the "Level Editing.... etc" section. I also havent seen any posts moved that have askes questions about editor functions etc that were posted in this section. If im wrong then fair enough, i didnt know and will post in another section in the future should i have any other issues.

Originally posted by Setheran View Post
                  I could use some advice for adding water (not the volume, but the surface) to very large areas. Is there a reason for using a static mesh instead of a BSP sheet? The main problem is that because my water covers a huge area, nearly all of the UN-Liquid textures are stretched much too big to look good. The only one that looks right scaled up is the SoftRiver material, but that one's completely opaque and doesn't let you see anything below the surface.

What's the general solution for large bodies of water? Is a sheet acceptable, or should it be lots of TexPropPlanes tiled together or something?
                  Hmm, unfortunatley i didnt make that large a body of water. I would try putting a few tiles of them together and see how they look, should be an easy copy and paste and shouldnt take too long to try out.

Comment

Onyx uses a nice mesh for huge water, give it a try StaticMesh'LT_Onyx.SM.Mesh.S_LT_Onyx_SM_WaterPlane _03'

Comment

Working...
                    X