TUTORIAL:Creating A Fire/Water Effect With Emitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TUTORIAL:Creating A Fire/Water Effect With Emitter

Ok I needed help with this earlier but now I have figured out how to use this.For those of you wonder how to use emitters or achieve a flame or water effect here is how you do it.

Steps:

1.Right Click-->Add Actor---->All Templates--->Add Emitter

2.Actor Factory Will open up.Go into your Generic Browser and search for the particle you would like to use (or use your own also make sure to select Particles on the side so they will show up) Simply select the particle you want.

3.With the particle selected enter the Actor Factory select the small green arrow next to the particle systems box and it will set the object in the browser as the particles.

4.This will give you your particle emitter which you can move and adjust however you please for the effect to take place and test it out and adjust till you get your desired result.

That's it and this works for any other particle emitters like fire and water.

Feel free to message me if you have any further questions

Final Result

Its a long shot but did you buy the CE with the editor tutorials in it? cos i know which tutorial vids on the disk specifially talk about making a fire effect. if not im affraid i dont know of any others. however im stuck myself but i wont hijack your thread with my issue.

Comment

hey no I only purchased the regular edition but which tutorial has it Im actually working on a map with my friend and he has the CE I can just ask him.Feel free to post any problems you have in this thread it's all good with me chances are I may have the same problem

Comment

I've been thinking of writing a short tutorial on emitters, cuz it took me watching the CE vid to finally figure it out... it's really not all that hard, it's just tough to find the tools right away if your a newb to UnrealEd (like me lol)

So, I will come back and give you a quick rundown and maybe a simple box map download with a fire particle system to play with...

EDIT: I would start on it right now, but I am doing a Build All on my map right now and it's taking a bit longer than expected, so I will get crackin' on that when it finishes...

Comment

Ok JustinR, I have 2 ways for you to get help .

GrimmBigBadWolf helped me with my Water problem earlier by giving me a link to hourences:

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsindex.htm

Full Index of tutorials there, not as easy as watching it done right infront of you in a video but still VERY helpfull.

As for the Video Tutorials, you can find the video's for the flame particles by going to the bonus disk (just right click and explore it), then go to Toolkit folder, Then 006_Particles folder. You will now see 2 folders called UT3_particles_1-5 and UT3_particles_6-10. You would probably be better off watching all of these videos as youll have a far better understanding of what you can do but if not you will find videos 4,5,6 and 7 (2 in each folder) are all marked for the flame effect.

Hope this info helps.

Comment

awesome thanks guys

Comment

Hey I figured it out myself thanks for all your help I'll now turn this into a tutorial topic

Comment

okay cool. I was gonna say it was going to take me a couple of days to get my tutorial together. You're welcome, and I'm glad ya got it working okay.

Comment

yeah I updated the main topic post with a small tutorial

Comment

I'd just like to add that you don't have to rebuild anything with emitters since they are dynamic objects. So, you can move them and do a check for errors. They don't affect pathing or lighting (other than dynamic lighting), so you don't really have any worry there. Cuz rebuilding can take a while on some systems

Comment

Thanks for the tutorial. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Can you explain me how to start an emitter with a trigger?
                        Thx in advance.

Comment

I have the CE so I'd be following that but it would be nice to see an expanded version of this tutorial. Like a walk through of actually making the fire effect or water effect (or a lot of goo for that matter ).
                          If you have time, please do that.

Comment

This tutorial is pretty straight forward unfortunetly I don't have the means of recording video nor do I know how to.If there is a free program that allows me to do so I'll gladly make a video for it.

Comment

I am in the process of making a tutorial that explains how to make a decent fire effect, I suppose I could also add a short tutorial on how to make water and/or slime splashes, maybe. It should be up within the next 3-4 days, I just want to read through a few times and make sure there's no major typographical errors and that it's pretty easy to follow.

Comment

Working...
                              X