Shadow popping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shadow popping?

I noticed while looking at one of the tutorials about dynamic lighting and such, that if your far enough away from the object that is casting a shadow lets say on the wall its near, that when you get close to this object the shadows pop in. I have a 1024x1024 room, and can notice this pretty quickly, the author of the video said he also didnt know how to adjust this, im wondering if anyone has solved this issue and what to do?

I believe there is a property in the UTEngine.ini called ShadowVolumePrimitiveScreenSpacePercentageThreshol d that controls this. You can alter this behavior on your end, but everyone else will still have the default behavior unless tey alter it as well.

I think the standard dynamic shadows were not used in UT3 in favor of using dynamic light environments which simplify the lighting calculations on dynamic objects making the game more efficient.

Comment

yea I can see the need for this for to keep frame rate up, I wonder how GOW did it , since it wasn't so fast paced and a lot more atmospheric in a lot of areas which could cast eerier shadows.

Comment

Working...
      X