Map optimization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Map optimization

How are maps optimized? Do I know to set up anything special in the editor for optimization? I recall Ut2004 had something where you would place something in the level that would tell the game not to render certain parts of a map. Is there anything like this in UT3? Or is the culling really good and doesn't need anything else?

dunno...

i do know the editor tells u in the "error log" window that pops up every time u build, telling you stuff like redundant path nodes, unused materials, etc.

Comment

This link has some good tips: http://evilmrfrank.com/Optimizing.html

I don't fully understand all of it, but one of the easiest and most effective things you can do seems to be applying the backfaces it describes.

Comment

You are talking about antiportals. (i though that was the name)
        Search for antiportals on the udn network, they are like walls that tell the engine not to render things, to save memory.

To optimize a level you should keep in mind 3 things.

-Avoid polygons overlapping.
        The best way is to map with snap grid on. This will make every bsp geometry desplacement done to the level to fit exactly and with precission where you want. (and more important, without overlapp other geometry)
        -Run bsp cleaner,
        this seems to do nothing but is useful. Everytime you subtract a wall onto another, (create a corridor between places) there is a invisible, transparent, wall you dont see, that is made of subtracted geometry. This operation deletes it, because wastes memory and you dont want it.

-PLace antiportals wisely. I dont remember the theory well, read the proper documents on the udn.

Also, UED now has new buttons, that let you see the memory of texture usage.
        In this view, textures on high res are drawn on red, and the rest on blue.
        Making a million of high res textures is not the best idea, so you can use the views to see if you are stressing the engine a lot.
        There is another view to see static mesh usage i think...

Comment

From what I remember reading else where on the board. Antiportals no longer exist in the way they used too. Anything behind a staticmesh or BSP is now not rendered during runtime.
          Until UDN fully opens up, we wont know for sure.

Comment

Antiportals are indeed no longer used.

The link to the document provided in this thread seems pretty spot on as to what things to be wary of.

Comment

I think optimization is now all done by culling which is set when you cook your map.

Comment

Working...
              X